Express & G-Series Vans Offered in both a full size van, or a large box truck, the Express is the modern GM workhorse

Chevrolet Express
Platform: GMT Van

Towing and Heating Up

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2012, 11:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Towing and Heating Up

I have a 2005 3500 Express (passenger set-up). It has the 6.0L engine with the 3.73 rear end.

I have towed my camper (~7,500 pounds) for several years with no real issues to speak of.

This past weekend, we went up to SW PA (from Baltimore). Towing up one particular mountain road, we were unfortunate enough to be stuck behind a school bus with no place to turn off or stop. Towards the top of the hill, the van was really straining, and the temp guage started heating up pretty badly. I pulled off the road just as the warning light telling me to check the guage went on. At this point, the guage was reading just under the red line. I ran the engine while parked with the heat blowing on hot until the guage showed the normal temp again and then we continued on our way.

I had to run the heat on every big hill for the rest of the ride and then again on the way home.

I also felt that the torque wasn't quite the same as I am used to.

I plan on having the coolant and the transmission fluid flushed and replaced. Should this take care of the problem, or do I also need to have the thermostat replaced (as I recall having to do on my old Chevy Nova a million years ago...)

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Greg
Old May 29th, 2012, 1:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> gregf,

I recommend consulting with a certified technician. They will be able to offer additional advice after a physical inspection of the vehicle.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service
Old May 29th, 2012, 2:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your reply. I was hoping to see some input from fellow Express owners to help guide me through this as well as hearing from GM to bring it in to the shop. Bringing it to the shop is not really an option at this point due to serious time constraints, etc. Besides, I am afraid the last time I needed troubleshooting from the dealer, it was more of a trial and error approach that drained my wallet and vacation days over several trips before they finally "figured it out".