Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1000-1300 project help

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow 1000-1300 project help

How ya doin guys, hopefully this will be fun to somebody because im in need of some help. Heres tha deal im wanting to build a 350, I have 1300$ what would you do? basicly im hoping somebody will pretend there in the same situation as me and build the motor with parts and kits found on the net and hopefully let me know how it goes and what you were able to get and about how much Tourqe and less importantly HP you think it will create. Any expert help would be greatly appreciated. BTW i already have Edelbrock Performer RPM dual plane intake and Edelbrock carb that i think is a 650 cfm. Number 7W8506 on the butterfly, then the number 181-455 on one of the links. Once again any expert help would be so greatly appreciated i dont know enough to go out and pick the right combo for my money.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 2:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Short of going to the dyno, almost everything you get into print will be conjecture and estimates. 1300$ sounds liken a lot, but it isn't much when you're buying engine performance.
You can spend 1200$ on a crankshaft kit alone.

People who have 15,000 to put into a 350 can get about 700HP out of a strong build. Hate to ruin the party, but you can probably bolt on about 100-150 HP for 1300$.

Lets start with basics:

1) This 350 engine-Vortec or L block? Used or new? Short block or complete? What year?

2)What's your motivation? Weekend cruiser/commuter/racing?

3) What type of vehicle body are you putting it into? Power-to-weight ratio may be important given the proper circumstances.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Its is a roughly 3500 pound 70's model car. I know i wont get much for the money i have but would like to sqeeze out as much as possible. Like i said im not too woried about HP rating but TORQUE TORQUE TORQUE. i havent found the block yet but that wont be part of the 1300 budget that is strictly for parts. i have the carb,intake, and headers. BTW this will be a daily driver red light to red light street brawler (hopefully). NO HIGHWAY!! I figure i should spend the most of my money on heads correct? There is a rebuild kit on NorthernAutoParts.com that includes almost everything but heads. cam,bearings,pistons,gaskets etc. for a very resonable price. check it out see what ya think. i will also take a look at the link you placed in the thread. Ill check back here in a little while after the basketball game. thanks for your help man.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

oO i like this site. so if i were to get the vortec heads i would need a special intake right? What do you think about the edelbrock performer RPM heads part number 608919? Or maybe the World S/R Torquer Part number 4265KA?
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

1Gary's right about the magazines. Another thing they're slow to point out is it's a good idea to keep a fair amount (@30-50%) of your budget in the bank for when your system hits a snag or breaks down.

It seems like you've got a pretty good head start with intake and exhaust. What's the block like?
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

Havent found a decent block yet, but the cost of block isent coming out of the 1300, i guess so far im thinking 350 bored over (not sure to what degree) Worlds S/R torqeur 170cc/58cc assembled 1.940/1.500 valves, Scat Crank, Hypereutectic Flattop Pistons, Sealed Power Moly Rings, Clevite Rod Bearings, Clevite Main Bearings, Clevite Camshaft Bearings, Melling Hi-Volume Oil Pump, Speed Pro Cam(was going to ask about lift/ duration), Speed Pro Lifters, Cloyes TRUE Roller Timing Set, Freeze Plugs, FelPro Gasket Set. all with my edel. 650 and RPM dual plane.
That puts me at 1398.76. Over budget since thats all with out cost of block and machine work, plugs,wires,dist, oil, filters, And probolly a much needed carb rebuild. I suppose i need to keep looking for better deals, i would hate to have to settle for building the 305.
Old May 5th, 2009, 10:12 AM
CF Beginner

Default machine guy full of it?

So i was on the phone with a machine shop getting price quotes on making a 383 stroker, he said that he hasent been having to clearence the block for the crank when people buy a 383 stroker kit. ***?! no way that would work right? does this guy know what hes talking about? His prices were reasonable
check for cracks-55.00
bore .30 over-160.00
decking-75.00
install cam bearings-50.00
supply and install freeze plugs-28.00
building to short block using my parts-150.00
he also said if the stuff comes pre-balanced then i shouldnt have to re-balance but i dont know if i trust that. but the main question is how would u get away with not clearencing the block for the correct stroker crank?
Old May 5th, 2009, 4:56 PM
Super Moderator

How would you save money on a 305? The 350 is by far an easier and cheaper engine for which to get parts.

Surf some old threads, and ask around some, if you want different ideas and better prices. 1Gary is right, the magazines can be very misleading.
Old May 5th, 2009, 6:04 PM
CF Beginner

i dont go off the magazines word lol
Old May 5th, 2009, 8:55 PM
CF Beginner

Default what casting # to look for

Im gonna build a 383 stroke. Wanting to know a good strong block that will withstand the .030 overbore ( i know its not much but still) and the other bulk that will be shaved out of it. Have also heard some stuff about cylinder warping, would like to find one not prone to that lol. Anyone know a good strong cast# to look for? Any help be appreciated !! thankya!

Quick Reply: 1000-1300 project help