Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

1998 suburban 350 install problem

Search this Thread

Old September 27th, 2009, 4:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 1998 suburban 350 install problem

I recently had a my 350 vortec rebuilt, and I dropped the engine myself. I forgot to install the brackets for the the bellhousing to motor mount supports which now obviously I cannot install the supports themselves. Just wondering if anyone knows what the consequences might be of leaving these out, also if there are any other options short of pulling the engine to fix this. Thanks
Old September 28th, 2009, 9:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi, Sethwilly,

Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

I'd be a little worried about two things, primarily.

First, I wouldn't park it facing upwards on a hill, the tranny will be likely to bind in park.

Torque and breakdown difficulties aside for a moment, I have to wonder what's going to happen to gas mileage when your bellhousing isn't secure and you lose power transference in the process.

Think of it like this. You already lose a little power every time you transfer power between your engine and your rear wheels.

From engine to tranny
tranny thru ujoint to driveshaft thru ujoint
from driveshaft to diff
finally from diff to rear wheels

The only question is how much is losing these mounts going to amplify those power losses.

It may be a little tight, but it would probably be a good idea to see if you can't get at these mounts from underneath the van, or through the hump, and re-attach them. Could you reach them if you disconnected the wheel-well skirts? It might help to have another person assist you.
Old September 28th, 2009, 6:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1998 suburban 350 install problem Reply to Thread

Thanks for the reply, I had to get an engine support bar and lift the engine off the mounts to install these tranny to motor mount supports, I also replace engine mounts since I had the opportunity.

Thank You