Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Tune Up... and more

Search this Thread

Old September 28th, 2009, 12:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tune Up... and more

I spent 4 hours today and did a full tune up on my truck.

Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires
Coil (wasnt bad but, changed it anyways)

Oil Change
Filter

Air Filter

Serp Belt

AC Pulley Eliminator Kit

(new battery and starter cable 3weeks ago)

I have worked on many of cars and never had a power gain like i did today. I had a small sputter, which i had figured was a plug (cyl 3 looked like crap). None of the plugs were oily or had major build up, Cyl 3 was way out of gap specs. i could of cleaned the plugs and been good.

I have had my truck for about 2months and it always felt sluggish when accelerating. It had been sitting for 6months to a year when i bought it and knew i had to tune it up so. I did.

I went from having slow acceleration to being able to stomp on it at a stand still and light up the tires. Blew me away. Would i have a torque/Hp gain from the little crap i did today? I am a mechanic for a living and never seen it go from "crap" to "not" with 200$ in parts and 4hours of work.

Truck has a 4.3L V6 and a 350 Turbo Trans in it.
Old September 28th, 2009, 9:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

This stuff varies from vehicle to vehicle and owner to owner.

My first guess would be the A/C pulley elimination.

I've done the same thing a few times, and barely seen enough of an improvement to cover gas savings to pay for the tune-up. A couple times I've seen a marked improvement like yours.

Possibly you weren't aware of a vacuum leak you fixed or a bad distributor cap or something.

Or maybe, during the process, you accidentally disconnected one of those flacacta OBD sensors GM keeps insisting on shoving up our truck's a$$e$...
Old September 28th, 2009, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by rivereye
This stuff varies from vehicle to vehicle and owner to owner.

My first guess would be the A/C pulley elimination.

Or maybe, during the process, you accidentally disconnected one of those flacacta OBD sensors GM keeps insisting on shoving up our truck's a$$e$...

I didnt unplug anything that i know of. I am happy with the improvement tho. Made me want to update the top end of the motor, maybe a new intake and a velocity spacer. Time will tell tho.

I do know that on these motors with TBI, the TBI unit and Distributor is the same as on the 350. When i did the tune up i did use the 350 plug kit instead of the one for 4.3L. Should be the same size wires tho, i would assume. I worked for Ford (dealership) for 4years in Kansas so, this Chevrolet world is new to me. I do miss the distributor up front tho... so much easier!

matt
Old September 28th, 2009, 8:53 PM
CF Active Member

Cool Hmmmmmm

Ford? Huh?who ?wat? Distributor?,,, someone said thats cause it has to be ! It makes a better hood ornament than it ever did a distributor ! Gotta hand it to ford , always thinking ahead! forgive me i no not what i say! :dbad hammer ! :dbad hammer ! :d