Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

8.1 liter info

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2008, 2:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 8.1 liter info

hello... this is my second post here. uh... i was just wondering if anyone knew a good amount or really anything about the 8.1 liter big block engine found in the 2500hd in 2002. i recently bought on. i got rid of my powerstroke and went back to the old reliable chevy. i haul everything from horses to cars and hay. what kind of upgrades are available, i want to put exhaust on but nothing really aggressive, (so i dont spook horses). any luck with brands of oil? what kind of mileage can i expect? whats the longest anyone has driven one? just basic dumb questions i guess. i am a certified diesel tech and its been a while since i hve a gasser. so anything helps. thanks
Old March 27th, 2008, 2:45 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 8.1 liter info

Alot of people seem to like royal purple motor oil, I personally use mobile one. For the exhaust, mostly its up to personal prefences.
Old March 28th, 2008, 3:11 AM
CF Junior Member

what kind of performance do you get. i mean mileage. how many miles are on your truck
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:45 AM
CF Active Member

I knew someone who said they got about 12mpg in the city, said they could haul anything without a problem, and on the other side they said the truck would outrun a mustang. From what i've heard it's a hoss of a truck. Does it have the Allison transmission? Magnaflow mufflers are great for what your looking for. Silent at idle speeds and cruising, but adeep mellow tone under acceleration.
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:06 PM
CF Junior Member

it has the six speed manual. four wheel drive. and from i have noticed so far the truck gets about 11.5 mpg in town and anywhere from 13 to 15.65 mpg on the interstate. thanks for the exhaust idea