Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 1:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

99' ZR2 Fog Light Connection

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2009, 7:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99' ZR2 Fog Light Connection

Am new to this so I may not be in the correct place to request this but, I'm adding factory fog lights (correct GM parts) to a ZR2 Blazer and am to the point of connecting the lights to the proper point or power source.
Is there a wiring diagram available showing the circuitry from the fog lights back to the fuse/relay?
Have located 2 "Green Cap Sealed" 3 conductor (grounded locally to the engine compartment) terminations, one on each side behind the park/fog lights, which I thought was for the fog lights, but the pigtail supplied by GM is 2 wire only??
Am at the point of hooking the lights to power but not sure where the factory termination is, everything else was there from the factory - relay, fuse, connection for the dash switch, etc.
Can you help
M.
Old February 27th, 2009, 4:59 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

It should be a two-wire only. You have two wires feeding the bulb. Don't know why 3 wires are in the harness, but you only need 2 of them.
I was think of doing this mod myself, but instead, retrofitting 9005s into the aftermarket assemblies!
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default Fog Light Conn. Issue

Since my last note I've traced this thing From the factory relay thru the wiring harness down to the park/fog light asm.'s.
There are 2 purple wires coming off the business end of the relay (87 lead)which split per the wiring diagram and go to either side of the front for the fog lights.
With the headlights on low beam I'm getting 12 v, and with on high beam around 3 v (guessing this is for the backlights in the switch when the fogs are on??
Not quite there yet but getting close, just don't have a lot of time to spend on it now...
Old March 4th, 2009, 10:43 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The factory fogs are wired to disable in high beam.

Power Circuit-
30 prong goes to 12v source
87 goes to lights

Control circuit-
86 goes to load side of switch
85 to Earth

You should read Open Leads (OL) between 87 and ground when switch is off.
Backlight in the switch shouldn't bleed power through the relay. I'd look an error with the meter first.

Just to let you know, I recently retrofitted fogs into my aftermarket signal assemblies and I just wired it straight up. Could I have used the factory wiring? Yes. But I decided that if I was going back with plug and play 3800K HID fogs later, I would need bigger wire than the factory system, so instead of using what was there, I ran some good 14 AWG wire. If you are ever thinking about doing that, then thats the way to go.
Old October 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM
CF Beginner

Hi I am having the same issue I put some after market fog lights on my bull bar and now I can't find where the wire from the factory relay is. if you find where to wire the light's could ya let me know.
THANK YOU
craig