Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

AC suddenly stopped working

Search this Thread

Old September 21st, 2008, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC suddenly stopped working

I have a 1999 Chevy Prizm. The AC was blowing cold and working fine and all of the sudden one day it stopped blowing cold. Happened suddenly, which makes me think its not a refridgerant issue. I checked the fuse to the AC under the hood and it looked fine. The green light is on when the AC button is pressed in, but I don't think its working. I know there is a clutch that pops out to allow for the compresser to turn via the belt. I can't tell if it has popped out or not. Is it likely that the clutch assy is bad or would it likely be the compressor?
Old September 22nd, 2008, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

Default RE: AC suddenly stopped working

ORIGINAL: sloopy3

I have a 1999 Chevy Prizm. The AC was blowing cold and working fine and all of the sudden one day it stopped blowing cold. Happened suddenly, which makes me think its not a refridgerant issue. I checked the fuse to the AC under the hood and it looked fine. The green light is on when the AC button is pressed in, but I don't think its working. I know there is a clutch that pops out to allow for the compresser to turn via the belt. I can't tell if it has popped out or not. Is it likely that the clutch assy is bad or would it likely be the compressor?
Hey sloopy,you got to verify that the A/C clutch is (or is not) workingfirst. Confirm that it is turning with the A/C on. Putting your climate control on 'Defrost' should cause it cycle on and off so you can stand there and watch it to see if its turning.
Old September 23rd, 2008, 7:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: AC suddenly stopped working

Hi sloopy3

You mention its stop working all of a sudden right? Did you checked A/C Compressor belt ( broken or jump out of compressor ) just a thought.
Old June 10th, 2015, 7:50 AM
CF Beginner

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but my mom has a '99 Chevy Prizm and as of 1-2 weeks ago, the A/C no longer works. I saw the replies suggesting to check the A/C clutch and the belt, but I have no idea where those things are located or what to look for. Can someone provide some detailed information (and possibly photos) so I may troubleshoot the problem?