Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

fuel pump replacement '99 Suburban 350

Search this Thread

Old August 14th, 2009, 9:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel pump replacement '99 Suburban 350

My mechanic replaced my '99 Suburban's fuel pump three years and 24,000 miles ago for $840. The Delco part was $440 back then. The same part is now $465 at the Chevrolet parts counter. Since the money is tight these days I'm not just going to hand the keys over to my mechanic for another $850+ beating. I'm thinking that there has to be a reasonable alternative to the factory pump. Is it possible to install an after market pump w/o removing the gas tank? The pump hasn't gone out completely, ie., it requires a thump on the gas tank when it won't start. Thanks for your help.

Eric <!-- / message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig -->
<!-- controls -->
Old August 14th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Price out Bosch, Performance Electric, Standard,etc. If you order over the net, you should be able to get a better quality name-brand pump for less.

OEM factory equipment is usually farmed out to the lowest bidder, so your hot-poo overpriced OEM pump is probably inferior quality,to boot.

The bad news here is generally you can't install a new pump without removing the tank because of clearances under the vehicle. The pump usually goes into the top of the tank.(Your service manual may tell you differently.Follow it.) Plan a weekend around having your gas tank drained as far as you can from normal driving, a gallon or so in the bottom of the tank shouldn't affect anything.

Then install it yourself. When I first started out with DIY projects on my cars, I would save money even if I took a massive beating through inexperience. Those pumps are a PITA, but definitely not impossible or even all that hard, actually. Just complicated.

1)Get the part and a service manual.(Haynes or Chilton is fine)Have a couple fire extinguishers within easy reach.
2)Set aside the weekend.
3)Run your gas tank dry.
4)Have a buddy with a car hang out and help.(Parts store,7/11, and beer.)
5)Start at first light.(get beer @ noon) DON'T FORGET THE NO SMOKING SIGNS!
6)Take a break when you start to get frustrated.
7)Hang in there and kick that pump's a$$.
8)Congratulations! Now you own that MFer.

At cleanup, after you remove the first few layers of filth, cheap toothpaste will help neutralize the gas smell on your skin. Good luck.

Last edited by therewolf; August 14th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old August 15th, 2009, 2:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Thanks

Rivereye,

Thanks for your insight and inspiration to geturdone.

Eric
Old August 15th, 2009, 9:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default You're Welcome

George of Jungle just here to help...
Old March 3rd, 2011, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced my pump in August. Too bad I wasn't on here then. You probably wouldn't have wanted to do what I did. I have a painting van which I built a plywood floor in the back. So instead of dropping the tank, I cut out an access panel in the plywood. Then I cut out an access panel in the van floor. An air chisel would have been the ticket, but I didn't have one.

Actually, the reason I joined this site was to ask if anyone has any good tips on how to press the pump assembly into the tank. I even lubed the O ring with water based lube. It's still such a tight fit. It's maddening. I don't want to break the top of the pump. It's only plastic. Last time I did this, I really muscled it in, but was always scared it would break.
Old March 3rd, 2011, 3:53 PM
CF Beginner

I forgot to mention that this a 1998 Chevy Express 3500 Van 7.4 L

I have no idea, but my guess is that Chevy makes all these fuel pump assemblies the same for all these larger models.

Anyone else had to muscle these bad boys in before?
Old March 9th, 2011, 10:41 PM
CF Beginner

Smile

YES, just finished mine. not to bad dropping the tank just remember to take the two bolts out that hold the plastic line harness or you could break them....anyway the fuel pump cost me 80 dollars and i rebuilt the old unit....when you insert the assembly in the tank it is a tight fit and it only goes in one way...there is that flange at the top with the big c clamp and the little plastic nipple that you have to make sure gets in the right spot ...when you press down on the pump assembly you have to install the ring at the same time to hold it firmly against the gasketor orange rubber ring... it is ok to be a tight fit as long as you got the large c clip where it goes....dont forget to plug in the pump???? hope this helps