Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

heater always runs

Search this Thread

Old April 24th, 2009, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater always runs

I've got a chevy van (don't know make or I would have posted in that board) that I use for work that always has it's heater running. Whenever the van is turned on, the heater turns on and blows out hot air. None of the controls seem to turn it off. Does anyone know a good quick fix? I'd take it to the shop but I'm strapped for cash. Any help would be appreciated.

PS: Would taking out the fuse for the heater cause problems for the vehicle?
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The blower blows all the time? or it only blows heat? If it only blows heat the quick cheap and easy fix would be to bypass the heater core. If the blower blows all the time unplug the blower motor
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:24 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you! I hate to ask for more help, but do you think you could give me a brief rundown on how to do both of those?
Old April 24th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Find where the 2 heater hose go into the core and connect them together. If I knew what kind of van it was I maybe able to tell you where to look for the hoses. Find the blower fan is (usually under passenger side of dash but without knowing what kind of van) and unplug it
Old April 25th, 2009, 4:22 AM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

If it actually BLOWS heat, then the problem is with your fan. And that fan starts blowing whenever your engine runs too hot (in order to cool it down).
So be sure to check if there is enough water in your radiator as well.
In the back of your Van there is a small heater as well. If that heater is also hot, then its your airco that does all the blowing.

It may be that your temperature measurer is broken (or not connected).

If its your airco: the aircopump is the upper right one (when standing in front of your Van facing inwards under the hood). There is a (usually white) plug there. Just pull it out and see what happens. The pump will still run, but it wont blow heat anymore. If that is the problem, then there might not be enough aircofluid (dont know the english name, sorry :s ) in your pump.

There are generally 2 types of Vans. The old-school type is from BEFORE 1996 and the newer models are from 1996 and beyond. The old schools have an old fascioned V8 engine where the new models have a Vortex engine. the new ones are just plain ugly where as the old ones are pearls of beauty and grace. (Guess which one I'm driving :d )

If it looks like the A-team Van, then you have an old school. If it doesnt...then you have bad taste and you're driving a new one ;-) )
Old June 11th, 2009, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

your switch is probaly bad, Go to your local junk yard $5 to $10 bucks