Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

K1500 stalls acclerating

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2006, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K1500 stalls acclerating

So I have exahusted all of my efforts to find someone that can tell me what is wrong with my truck and everyone seems to have a different answer.

I have a 97 K1500 Z71 w/Vortex V8. I have recently been having problem with my truck stalling/spuddering in the morning. I don't have a problem starting the truck I only have a problem accelerating. If I let the truck warm up for about 5mins at first I don't have such a problem. Most of the time I don't have 5 mins to let the truck warm up so when I try to leave the house, pull out in an intersection, or attempt to merge in traffic my turck simply doesn't want to go!!!

So far I have had people tell me that it is my fuel pump. I have changed my fuel pump twice the first because someone told me that was the reason that my truck was stalling (not enough fuel pressure). The second time I changed it was because I was still having the problem and a mechanic told me to check the fuel pressure, "if it is below 60psi you have a bad fuel pump". So I bought a pressure gauge check fuel pump #2 and the pressure was a stable 55psi at idle and about 62psi during acceleration. So based on the recommendation I chaned the fuel pump. Check the pressure of fuel pump #3 and it was exactly the same as fuel pump #2!! The next person tells me well it could be you injectors. So I take my truck to the shop pay $100 for them to take a look at my truck and tell me "well your injectors are leaking". Thier expalnation was that my injectors were leaking into my oil..overfilling my oil, and cause a longer start. Well at this point I could tell that they were full of it becasue I wasn't have problems starting my truck and if my injectors were leaking 1.) I would have problems starting my truck, 2.) My truck would smoke when first cranked, and 3.) The fuel pressure would drop after the fuel pump/truck was truned off (which it wasn't). The next canidate told me that my problem could be one of two sensors, one of which I can't remember but the second was the mass air flow sensor. I don't know enough about my MAF sensor the tell if this is correct or not.

So what I am looking for is someone to give my thier guideance on what should be checked, what could be going wrong, or a way that I could check my MAF sensor in my truck. If you are still reading at this point thanks for taking the time!!!!

Thanks!!!
Old September 20th, 2006, 12:35 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: K1500 stalls acclerating

If your fuel pressure problem has been remedied already, accelerating problems could indeed be a sign of dirty MAF sensor.
As with my truck it sits a lot and replacing my fuel filter solved my problem.
Old September 20th, 2006, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

there was acutly a problem with the fuel injectors on the truck u have the vavle for the fuel injector would get stuck in the open or closed position cuaseing a cylinder misfire you have to pressure test the system to find out if that is the problem...not sure if this is the problem but i hope it was helpful
Old September 27th, 2006, 2:44 PM
CF Active Member

Don't ignore the fuel pressure regulator. I've got 2 vehicles with this engine and I've had many problems with the '96 but none with the '99. There are too many "experts" out there who don't have a clue how those engines work. Buy a Haynes manual for Your particular Vehicle and see if the problem shows up in thear troubleshooting guide. Those books are a wealth of information on very specific vehicles. I own one for ebery vehicle I have and they have saved Me a lot of money.