Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Mystery Squeeking

Search this Thread

Old April 25th, 2007, 2:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Squeeking

Here's one for ya. After losing another Buick engine, I just converted my Buick GSX clone to a chevy engine(I know) for expense reasons. It is a rebuilt 350 warmed up a little. After it has been warmed up for 5 to 10 minutes, I get an annoying squeeling noise from the engine bay. It only has two belts and they are both new. One is the V belt frrom the balancer to water pump to power steering. The other is a serpentine from balancer to water pump to alternator. I replaced the clutch for the fan, and now I did the alternator. Everything is new. It still squeels. It doesnt do it at idle in drive but it starts around 750 RPMs in Park on up through the gears. Someone told me that the serpentine pulleys themselves can get worn and make a noise. And when I bought the new alternator, I had to put the serpentine pulley on it, as that style of alternator has an external regulator and they come with V belt pulleys. Any insight would be great, as Im going insane chasing this thing down.
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Mystery Squeeking

my advice is to take the belt off completely and run the engine to make sure it is or is not the belt and possibly a main bearing
Old May 21st, 2007, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

I've had the bearings in the serpentine belt idler pulley go bad and make a squealing noise.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
CF Beginner

Did it squeal before the pulley was R&R'd?? If it didn't squeal before the alternator/ pulley change, the alignment of the pulley may be off slightly. Look for wear on one edge of the belt inner/ outer. If one of the edges is showing any wear the pulley may have been pushed on too far or not far enough.
Good Luck,