Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

New Clutch!!

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2009, 4:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Transmission

When I went to buy parts for the clutch replacment today they asked me if I had a new proccess 3500 or 4500. How do I tell which one I have? Thanks'
Old June 23rd, 2009, 5:09 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranny

Originally Posted by suzuki-guy
When I went to buy parts for the clutch replacment today they asked me if I had a new proccess 3500 or 4500. How do I tell which one I have? Thanks'
hey bro the tranny you should have is a new venture 4500(nv4500)....i think...also your rpo codes in the glovebox should help!
New Venture Gear, now Magna, or New Process Gear, a division of Magna International, was a joint-venture automobile transmission company set up by General Motors and the Chrysler Corporation in February 1990. It was 64% owned by DaimlerChrysler and 36% owned by GM until February 2002, when General Motors sold its stake in the company to DaimlerChrysler. Magna International purchased 80% of the company, under the holding name "New Process Gear", from DaimlerChrysler on September 29, 2004 and continues to operate it. As of 2007, Magna owns 80% of the plant.
New Venture Gear inherited Chrysler's New Process Gear Syracuse, New York plant and GM's Muncie, Indiana transmission plant. The New Process plant was renamed to the "New Process Gear Division" of New Venture Gear. New Venture operates a similar operation in Roitzsch, Germany. The Muncie plant was reverted to GM control, closed its doors in mid 2006, and was turned over to Delaware County, IN.
New Process Gear itself has been in business since 1888.

Last edited by myotherchevyisablazer; June 23rd, 2009 at 5:21 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 5:51 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I found the stamping numbers on the transmission and found that I have a NV3500 transmission the numbers are GM8680834 if any one needs to know in the future.
Old June 23rd, 2009, 9:28 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a hoist and a tranny jack luckily! The clutch kit comes with an alignment tool. Thank's for the pointers Gary!
Old June 29th, 2009, 7:26 PM
Super Moderator

Arrow New Clutch!!

Before I tell you how replacing my clutch wwent I have a question. I have had many manual transmission but never had a new clutch. My question is are new clutches always touchy?? This one is really touchy you can't really feather the clutch as soon as you let it out a little bit its gone! It is a performance clutch with a ceramic button. Oh and is there any way to adjust it? And does the inspection cover go over the slave cylinder or does the slave cylinder go over the inspection cover? I have the slave cylinder over the inspection cover which if it is not supposed to be that way could shim it out and not disengage all the way! It's like I have to learn how to drive a stick again thanks! Now for my story.

Well replaced my clutch this weekend and it took me 15 hours to do it!!! All the big things went by fast its the little things that got us. It took 5 hours to get the pilot bearing out and then I went to push on my clutch and the cable snapped so I had to go buy a new master cylinder assembly. Clutch plate was fine a little glazed but my release bearing and pilot bearing were trashed!!!

Last edited by suzuki-guy; June 29th, 2009 at 8:08 PM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch

i am afraid there is not a lot of adjustment on a ceramic clutch you get your free pedal and it's either in or out no in between it's like a racing clutch on a drag car.
Old June 30th, 2009, 1:14 PM
Super Moderator

Now you have to pump the clutch up to get it in togear even after bleeding it three times... Im assuming ive got a leak in the hydraulic system somewhere.
Old June 30th, 2009, 4:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

Leak or broken seal inside the cylinder.
Old June 30th, 2009, 4:59 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Like Brent said...if there are no external leaks, then either the master or the slave cylinder is leaking internally
Old June 30th, 2009, 7:34 PM
Super Moderator

I wish there was a way to adjust it! As soon as I let the clutch out it goes!

Quick Reply: New Clutch!!