Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

no compression

Search this Thread

Old December 24th, 2008, 9:20 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no compression

I have an 02 suburban and it started missing real bad and will not idle had it put on computer and it said mis fire on 1 and 3 cyl ran a comp test on # 3 and it has 0 comp so i was told a blown head gasket but i have never seen a head gasket would not build any pressure has anyone else ever seen this
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:09 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: no compression

Yeah a head gasket can defently cause this problem. Especially since the 2 cylinders are next to each other. Run a leak down test and see if air is bubbling out of the radiator cap. Then you will know for sure.
Old December 24th, 2008, 10:50 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

More than likly the head gasket is blown between the 2 cylinders so when you compressin check # 1 it bleeds to # 2. Was the truck over heated? Did you compression check a known good cylinder to make sure it is not a problem with your tester? If the cylinders were lacking spark and injectors were still spraying gas the cylinder walls would get washed out and compression would go down. Add some oil to the cylinder and re test compression may come up.
Old December 25th, 2008, 4:52 AM
CF Beginner

I think i found the problem it has a broken valve spring. It must be my lucky day. thanks for the input guy's
Old December 25th, 2008, 12:02 PM
CF Beginner

the mechanic must have only ran a comp test on #3 cyl when i brought it home I ran one on 1,3,and 5 cyl 1 and 5 had perfect comp so i knew it could have not blown between cyl's so i pulled the valve cover off and seen the broken spring it was only letting the valve drop about half an inch so i hope there was no damage to the piston. the valve seems to move up and down fine i am going to get another spring and hope it is my lucky day