Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Problem with steering after adding Lucas Oil???

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2009, 3:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with steering after adding Lucas Oil???

I've got a 2004 Crew cab Z71 with 77k trouble free miles. Upon the advice of my BIL and FIL who both raved how well their trucks (Yukon and GM p/u) drove after adding Lucas Oil to their power steering, I did the same. I removed some of the power steering fluid and topped it back off with the Lucas oil for power steering and a week later noticed that it was starting to whine/hiss at full lock in either direction. Gradually the problem got worse and now at low RPM I have almost NO power steering assist!!!

Has anyone else heard of this happening after using Lucas Power steering products? I've always heard great things about their products and the company.....but this incident really has me questioning if there products aren't anything more then snake oil. I did call the company and today to talk to them and the lady kind of laughed and said "I'm sorry to hear that - we do guarantee our products...up to the price of the bottle". Her response has really got me heated and I'm tempted to just go around the 'net and just bash their name.....

My last Chevrolet truck had 235k trouble free miles and NOT ONCE did I touch the power steering system...and really wish I hadn't even messed with this one.
Old March 27th, 2009, 5:57 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

The power steering pump is shot.
I have heard horror stories about additives and I have heard praise about additives. Not specifically Lucas, but other brands as well.
I have heard that they can gum up the pump.
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really sorry about your truck Sailor. What Brent says makes real sense. Once I put STP oil treatment in an old heap I was driving. Sure enough, STP really does stand for "Stops Tired Parts".
Old March 27th, 2009, 11:52 PM
CF Monarch

Received 26 Likes on 9 Posts

I put Lucas 2-cycle oil additive in my 93 Polaris once.
Smoked like hell and gummed the plug 4 times.
Just goes to show that additives are sometimes not the best way to go; if it ain't broke, don't put additives in it!

I say drain it and use PS fluid and Marvel Mystery oil. If that doesn't free it up, then replace the pump.
Old March 29th, 2009, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like possibly the steering pump was on it's way out before you added the Lucas oil, but I neither support or know anything negative about the actual product.

OTOH, 77K ain't much for a power steering unit, at 72K my 04 is fine, and till now I hadn't heard of any PS problems in the 04s...
Old March 29th, 2009, 5:05 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

MOST additives are gimmicks to get you to buy something you don't need, and the saying " if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really is true.

If your power steering was acting up, then I would try the additive because at that point you don't have anything to loose except the pump itself.

Additives for fuel are about the only ones I feel have any real value, any other fluids in your vehicle get changed out so additives really aren't needed.

The only reason you SHOULD change your power steering fluid is because over time, the hydraulic fluid adsorbs moisture, this is what causes it to change to a darker color along with suspended particles of worn parts, your brake fluid is the same way....

Last edited by in2pro; March 29th, 2009 at 5:06 PM. Reason: context and spelling
Old April 7th, 2009, 3:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

A little update:
I was changing my Negative Cable(What a lifesucker, BTW) and I noticed my power steering box is covered in (P/S?) fluid...

...so P/S troubles may not be far off for other '04 Silverado owners, either.
Old April 7th, 2009, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You may want to try changing the fluid out. Suck it out fill it up run the truck for a while then repeat the process a few times. It could be possible that there was some build up of crud in the system already, the lucas may have some kind of detergent in it that broke the crud loose and clogged the valves in the pump