Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

rattle from a/c pulley

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2008, 7:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rattle from a/c pulley

Hello!I just bought a 1998 malibu with a 3,1L and 135000km on it.The engines runs fine but there is a rattle noise in the a/c pulley area that come on and off when i put the a/c or the fan heater on.It happens a few time when i slow down the engine dies but start right up again.The gas tank has a rust hole in it,so i assume that the fuel filter must be clogged.The rear suspension make a loud noise too when i hit a bump,like something is loose underthere.Strangly the car is very smooth on highway,where the pavement have no hole in it.Since i'm new to GM cars,can anyone help me on this,to pinpoint the probs,so i don't get rip off the next time i go to the garage?Thanks a lot!
Old May 13th, 2008, 7:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: rattle from a/c pulley

You definitely need a new A/C clutch. With the engine off grab the clutch and wiggle it around with your hand. The sound will sound the same as when your engine is running. The reason whythe noisecomes and goes with the A/C on is cause your clutch engages and disengages as pressure in your A/C system increases and decreases.
Old May 13th, 2008, 10:38 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your imput i will check that tomorrow.A friend of mine had a 95 lumina with the same noise and told me he got it adjust by his mechanic,so i wanted to make sure if it is a adjustable thing.
Old May 15th, 2008, 3:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

With the proper tools, you can pull the clutch out a few hairs to prevent it from rubbing. Don't pull it out too far otherwise the air gap will be too great and the compressor won't be able to engage the clutch to keep the a\c working
Old May 16th, 2008, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

I think i will bring it to my mechanic next visit he will take car of the job,thanks for the reply