Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2004 Impala - hard cold starts, gas smell

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Impala - hard cold starts, gas smell

3.4l engine. At cold starting I have to crank about 3-4 times to start. Or I can turn key a few times on and off and it will start with one crank. If car is warm it will fire right up so has to be something with fuel system. I also smell gas outside of vehicle. I already changed fuel pressure regulator and still happening. Any suggestions? Car runs fine other than this. Thanks!
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:08 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelson Rodriguez
3.4l engine. At cold starting I have to crank about 3-4 times to start. Or I can turn key a few times on and off and it will start with one crank. If car is warm it will fire right up so has to be something with fuel system. I also smell gas outside of vehicle. I already changed fuel pressure regulator and still happening. Any suggestions? Car runs fine other than this. Thanks!
Sounds like with the key toggling you are pressurizing the fuel system. when was the last time the fuel filter was changed? I would also try to see where the gas smell is coming from. My brother had a 1997 Grand Prix that actually had a fuel line rot through. Have to be careful.

Last edited by Frank3; October 16th, 2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Frank3
Sounds like with the key toggling you are pressurizing the fuel system. when was the last time the fuel filter was changed?
About 1 year ago.
Old October 16th, 2014, 12:59 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I remember correctly, hope I don't get this backwards. When you first toggle the key on to start. the BCM command the FP relay to run for a couple of seconds to pressurize the system, then shuts off. When the engine gets running on that initial pressurization from turning the key, it is up to the oil pressure sending unit switch to turn the fuel pump relay back on to provide fuel pressure while the engine is running. That way in the event of a problem accident or fire and the engine stops, so does the oil pressure and in turn power to the fuel pump. Don't know if this is the case for a 2004 Impala as well.
Old October 16th, 2014, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

sounds like the check valve in the fuel pump isn't working. this will cause the fuel system to lose its prime. All the fuel in the supply line will drain back into the tank after the car is shut off. the fuel lines will have to fill before the car will start.
You can confirm this condition by doing a fuel pressure leakdown test.

another possibility which would also cause a fuel smell is a leaking fuel pressure regulator.
Old October 23rd, 2014, 11:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that actually had a fuel line rot through
LOL at least they are metal. My sister's Nissan and her fuel lines under the car are plastic . I would hate to be over anything that could melt the fuel lines
Old November 8th, 2014, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Turns out was the Fuel Filter leaking and causing issues. She is right as rain now. Thanks for all the help!