Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu Maxx hard start when cold

Search this Thread

Old February 1st, 2009, 10:48 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2004 Malibu Maxx hard start when cold

Hey guys,

On my 2004 Malibu Maxx I have been noticing that when the engine is cold it has some problems starting. I will turn the key & release it like normal & the car will crank, but sometimes the car won't start. It will stumble & start then die. I noticed it only does this when the engine is cold. There are no trouble codes & the light is not on either. The other day when I picked up the car from Jack Maxton for a leak at my hatch back I went to dinner & it took four times to get the car to run & then it ran rough until I revved the engine a few times.Is this something the shop will be able to see? It doesn't do it all the time. Any help is appreciated.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 8:45 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can leave the car overnight, that would be best. The tech and put the scanner on it to watch various sensors to see which onen is acting up when trying to start it cold. Most likely your problem will be with the coolant temp sensor. If it is reading warmer then what it is outside, it may not be delivering enough fuel to start the car properly
Old February 2nd, 2009, 1:05 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tip. I'll prolly do that, especially since the stupid water leak they supposedly fixed is back. It sucks since I picked the car up on Friday evening.
Old May 6th, 2014, 8:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Occassional hard start

Hi guys, I'm tagging onto this thread because I have had the same hard starting issue for several months now. I live in the Midwest and thought it may have been the cold winter causing things. But now we're into May and the weather is warm enough, still having the issue.

I turn the key and it attempts a start, however it fails. Sometimes this takes 2-3 attempts before the engine turns over and starts. I've checked and cleaned my battery terminals and recently added some fuel additive to reduce build up. No changes yet.

I'm wondering if you found the answer to your problem and what it was? Any suggestions are helpful.

I drive a 2004 Chevy Malibu Maxx LS

Many thanks,
Brian