Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2005 Chevy Impala persistant starting up problems. Advice needed?

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2014, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2005 Chevy Impala persistant starting up problems. Advice needed?

Hello , I have a 2005 Chevy Impala that has been having some very random persistent starting up issues. First I will tell you we have had the battery and alternator checked twice and both times the results were in working order, nothing wrong with them.
Last visit for that was about a week ago.

So a little background info... This started in August. One night getting into my car i noticed it would not start, when turned over it made a clicking sound like it was trying to turn over, so I had my buddy jump the car, well that worked for about 2 weeks, until I ran into the exact same issue, so I had it jumped again, a week later same thing, would make a sound trying to turn over but wouldn't, so jumped it again, each time the jumping is seeming to take longer. Now this morning when I got into my car and tried to turn it over, NO sound. None at all. Like it was 100% dead. Radio, lights the whole thing wasn't working. So jumped it again, took about 20-25 minutes, the lights started to come on first then the radio, then eventually the car did start. I hope it starts after work, but it seems this is almost a weekly occurrence now. I'm short on cash so it would have to die, and would have to tow it somewhere to diagnosis it ($$$!). Which with our schedule is very hard to do anyways... So I was hoping maybe someone had some advice? Could it be a fuse, could it still be the battery regardless of the positive test results, or maybe something simple? Please if you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated thank you!

-Would also like to not the weather has been around 10-25 degrees. Live in MN. But my other car my 98 dodge stratus starts up every day just fine so I think I have weather ruled out. Its started in colder last winter?
Old December 1st, 2014, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the battery voltage when starting? Who checked the battery out and how?

Remove your cables and clean everything with battery terminal cleaner/conditioner or a can of coca-cola with phosphorous.

Your battery probably doesn't have enough CCA's remaining. How old is it?

There are no security lights on the dash? No service engine codes?
Old December 2nd, 2014, 9:33 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When the Impala makes the clicking sound, is it actually turning over? Is the clicking from the starter solenoid? I would make the checks as sledge.impy suggested above. I did have a problem with a 2005 Impala just making a clicking noise when trying to start and NOT turning over. The clicking noise was NOT the starter solenoid. It was the "Crank Relay" that is found on the RH strut tower under the hood in the fuse/relay center. I don't know whether the relay was bad or just a bad connection, but replacing it allowed the crank relay to allow the start solenoid to work and start the car. This may or may not help in your situation, but is something else to check.
Old December 2nd, 2014, 11:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Check both your battery cables at both ends for loose or corroded connections. It is not good enough to only check them at the battery.