Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Advice needed for fixing up my '96 Chevy Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2013, 9:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed for fixing up my '96 Chevy Suburban

So, to make a long story short, bought my Suburban 2 years ago used 150k miles, had it for less than two weeks before the heads blew and it wouldn't make it past the end of my driveway without massively overheating and breaking down. Took it to a mechanic when I initially discovered coolant leaking from it and they said it was an intake leak, few days later checked the oil and found it to be like overly creamy coffee, shortly after that couldn't drive it anymore. It's now been sitting in my driveway for 2 years and I want to do something with it so I've decided to fix it up. The problem is, I have no experience with engines other than basic oil changing and checking fluids. Bought a haynes repair manual but any and all advice is much appreciated at this point! I would really like to learn how to fix it myself since its way cheaper than taking it to a mechanic and I feel it would be rewarding to know how to fix my own vehicle if anything happens. Please help!
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

good news is, as far as your first headgasket job...the 5.7 is easy (i assume you have the 5.7 anyways) though the 454 isn't much different, just a bit heavier.

bad news is, if you continued running it to that degree...it might be toast. even worse is that it's been sitting for 2yrs with a milkshake down there, thats not helpful for the bearings, and in the end you may go through the effort to fix it and find it just blows a rod in a short time due to sitting in that wonderful water/oil mixture.

if you decide to fix it... unbolt the exhaust manifolds, remove the intake, and pull the heads....simplistic breakdown but, sums it up.. then take the heads to a machine shop and have them checked.

in the long run the cheaper route may be just tossing a used engine in it... i often see used 350's for 200-500$.

if it's a diesel... sell it for parts...they're no fun (i have 2), if it's a 454...i don't see as many 454's cheap like 350's but, still the same applies as above.
Old May 28th, 2013, 8:59 PM
CF Beginner

How do i know if its a 350 or a 450? Its definitely not a diesel so that's some good news! Other than that, will there be anything I should specifically look for when opening it up, I've asked other people I know and they told me that it could be welded shut. Is that likely after sitting there for only 2 years? I most certainly want to fix it if I can, I only have one other vehicle and after being without a car for a year it sucks big time walking everywhere so having a backup vehicle would rock. Thanks!
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

SBC has a narrower valve cover than a BBC. SBC also has siamesed center exhaust ports. At least in your vintage.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
Old May 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this sounds a bit waisfull, but...

I'd get a cheep change of Oil in it, and just fill the Radiator up with clear water for now. Get it where it will crank up and run on it's own for even just a while. THEN, you'll be better able now (after a 2 year setup) to evaluate the problems and put them in proper order for repair.

Things you can do first are...
Clean Battery terminals and charge,
Check Spark Plugs and set,
Dump Fuel and put a couple gallons of fresh in,
Check Air Filter, remove if very dirty and replace after fixes,

When you get it cranked, leave the Cap off of the Radiator for a while,
and see if there's good circulation (Water Pump working)

PS:
1) When you remove the Spark Plugs, squirt a couple CC's of Transmission Fluid into the
Cylinders and crank the engine over several times, just to lube and seep into the rings a little.

2) If you leave the Radiator Cap off of it (or just loose), therefore not building up any
pressure, you probably will be able to drive it for a much longer period
since the coolant won't be forced into the wrong areas as quickly.

Last edited by SWHouston; May 29th, 2013 at 12:31 AM.