Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2014 electric power steering

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2013, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2014 electric power steering

I'm all electric today...

When getting on it to change lanes. To make a pass... The v6 feels somewhat washy. .. Loose. ..
I start feeling pull one way then counter the wheel the its the next way and feels out of control... Until I finish Lane change..

Anyone else?
Old December 16th, 2013, 9:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
I'm all electric today...

When getting on it to change lanes. To make a pass... The v6 feels somewhat washy. .. Loose. ..
I start feeling pull one way then counter the wheel the its the next way and feels out of control... Until I finish Lane change..

Anyone else?

2014 Chevrolet Impala LTZ V-6 review: Being Chevrolet : CarBuzzard: Car reviews, auto news, photos, history and more

Standard on all Impalas is “pull drift compensation.” The electric power steering system can measure how much a driver is turning the steering wheel to adjust for a lateral push, such as a side wind, and add enough electric power steering boost to make up for it. If the driver doesn’t feel it, it’s because that’s the way Chevrolet wants it

Old December 17th, 2013, 8:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know exactly what your saying, I have 20" on my car and when I kick it the steering pulls down on the left and when you try to bring it back you do a little wiggle. The other thing is that when you want to kick it you have to be prepared to compensate for the lag between the pedal push and the engine ecceleration. I will say that the engine really pulls great until you reach 75mph, an then the transmission just floats, RPM drop down and the car just seems to coast. I was going to make this a seperate thread, but because we're talking about the steering. This steering is suppose to fight any road surface pulls or something about wind resistence, but try this pull up to a light and apply breaks and see if the 20" wheels on an uneven surface will pull the steering wheel out of your hand. The road surface grabs the 20" and breaks seem to over ride any compensation the electric steering can handle.
Old December 19th, 2013, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

So is the loss steering wheel actually a feature?

I have test drove the car, liked everything about it except the steering wheel, even when going straight the steering wheel feels extremely loss and keeps wiggling, is the sensitivity of the steering wheel adjustable or its just the way it is for the long run?
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:37 PM
CF Beginner

I've noticed the same thing. Coming from an acura TL and driving the spouses 2013 Lexus both having really tight steering I thought it was just me but steering on impala is smooth but can be "loose" at times especially when I'm doing 100 on way to work love my car though!!!
Old February 5th, 2014, 8:05 AM
CF Junior Member

The '14 Impala has variable steering rate.... loosy goosy at slow speeds, then firms up at highway speeds. Perhaps by flooring it, the computer decided to firm up the steering, then you came off the gas and the steering firmness backed off. Could it be the transition that you were noticing?

Some features form the Web...

All models feature an electric variable-assist steering system (EPS) that helps save fuel by drawing energy only when the steering wheel is turned. Designed to complement Impala’s balance of responsiveness and comfort, the EPS’s feel is light and direct, with greater assistance at low speeds and higher effort at highway speeds. It also incorporates Pull Drift Compensation, which automatically adjusts the steering effort to account for factors such as crowned roads or high crosswinds – factors that typically cause the driver to turn the steering wheel slightly to maintain a straight path.

Sensors detect the steering correction and adjust the torque applied to the steering system to relieve the effort on the driver, helping to maintain smooth, straight driving with less input. Pull Drift Compensation is an integrated feature of the EPS system and engages seamlessly, without the driver’s knowledge.
Old March 12th, 2022, 5:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default I wish I had this problem

My power steering has been out for over a year. Its not the rack and pinion, it came back a couple times. Non of the mechanics have fixed it. How much torque is it taking me to make turns! I've gotten ripped! And any suggestions?