Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

2012 Impala Glove box opening to get to panel behind it to put in AC actuator

Search this Thread

Old August 30th, 2018, 9:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Impala Glove box opening to get to panel behind it to put in AC actuator

2012 impala glove box removal opening so that I can have the replacement AC actuator installed to get rid of that maddening ticking sound. I don’t want to break the glove compartment
The following users liked this post:
nwerle@gmail.com (March 12th, 2022)
Old August 30th, 2018, 5:41 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert1288
2012 impala glove box removal opening so that I can have the replacement AC actuator installed to get rid of that maddening ticking sound. I don’t want to break the glove compartment
Should have some tabs on the side that you press in to drop the glove box out. Also a small wire loop to keep it from dropping too low, if its anything like my 2015 Malibu..
Old October 1st, 2018, 1:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the Impala, there are two tabs on the body of the box. When you open the box, just feel on the top of the body of the box to feel where the tension is. You gently push down by them and the box will fall down. There are two actuators behind the box. One to your left and one to the right behind the thick wiring harness. You can put your hand on each one while the noise is happening to see which one is your issue. There is one plug and two screws to remove them, but they are tight to get to. The one to the right is a pain due to the harness. You will need a 7/32 socket and small ratchet. There are numerous posts here and YouTube videos to watch.
Old March 4th, 2019, 8:30 AM
CF Beginner

I'm just a new guy, so what do I know, but I have the same issue with the maddening actuator clacking. I couldn't get my fat hand back there with a small enough ratchet, so I just disconnected it (the actuator, not my hand). Haven't noticed any change in the cabin temp and have run it with the air & heat on and off.
Old January 6th, 2020, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Well, I figured out the 2012 Impala Glove box. The best I could do was to drop the glove box cover down by pressing down on the two tabs on the top of the compartment. Then, remove the four phillips screws around the sides and the three torx screws on the latch. the compartment will come out but the door will still hang. There should be room to work behind. (At least better than with the box attached.) I also removed the plastic pins below the glove box to allow the panel to drop. This helped when I would drop a socket and then it would fall to the floor. (Hope this helps)
Old February 24th, 2020, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There may be more than one version of Impala? In my 2012 Impala LT, I could not find any release tabs, and screws didn't do it.
What I found is -
The hinge pins at bottom of door can be removed - grab with diagonal cutter, pull out.
Then glovebox door can open and come out,
The bottom pad (below dash on pass side) can also come out using those plastic stud things.
Note that there are three holes in actuator - there are only TWO SCREWS!
The third space has something that looks hexagonal, but is just a locating stud...
The following users liked this post:
nwerle@gmail.com (March 12th, 2022)
Old March 12th, 2022, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

just shut up if you cant help
Old March 12th, 2022, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

head of pin is too small for Dikes to pu!!!!