Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2015, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice needed

Hello all. I'm new to this forum. I bought a used 2004 Impala yesterday it has some strange quirks that I am not sure of what's wrong.
First of all: My wipers only work on high speed, the won't close down to the hood by themselves and intermittent doesn't work.
Also: My high beam (off same lever) doesn't engage.

Signals and cruise work fine.

Last: I have mixed opinions regarding the fluid to put in my Auto trans. I'm taking it in to have a new filter and gasket put in and want to put the best fluid in. One guys suggested Dextron VI. My manual says Dextron III

Thanks in advance
Old February 13th, 2015, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rascal

Last: I have mixed opinions regarding the fluid to put in my Auto trans. I'm taking it in to have a new filter and gasket put in and want to put the best fluid in. One guys suggested Dextron VI. My manual says Dextron III

Thanks in advance

You don't say how many miles you have ?.. and what color is the fluid currently? red? brown? black? black sludge?

It's not a Transformer , so it's not DexTron.. it's Dexron.

Google dexron 3 vs 6... and form your own opinions.

The later fluids supersede the previous fluids... Remember Dexron IIe?!

I just read a saturn thread were people weren't cool with anything other than 3.
Old February 13th, 2015, 2:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default advice

my advice is to use the new dexron VI fluid and don't forget a new filter. As for the wiper problem when wipers don't go down on the rest stops when turned off it generally means the trouble is in the motor itself but I think you should test the switched first because of the other problem you mentioned with the lights.
Old February 14th, 2015, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for the replies. First of all vehicle has 242,000kms on it. Fluid is a reddish brown and smells 'off'. I don't know how else to explain it. I'm assuming it's never been changed. My mechanic will know when he works on it.
I did buy a new filter and gasket. I may get him to drain it, run it and drain it again and put fresh stuff in. He doesn't have a way to flush the system.
Dealer said DEXRON III is fine for it so that's what I bought.
Old February 19th, 2015, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Okay so fresh trans. filter & fluid. New cat.conv. which turned out to be plugged. Cracked PCV line replaced. Now trans makes an awful loud banging sound. What could cause this. I should mention too that the trans was fine after fluid change and before the cat.conv. was changed. Any idea what would cause the horribly banging sound in tranny at upshifting??

Last edited by Rascal; February 19th, 2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old February 20th, 2015, 9:04 AM
CF Veteran

Broken trans mount?
Old February 26th, 2015, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like either you have a bad turn signal switch (better knwon as multifunction switch ) or you have an ex police car.

I had an ex police car.

I had the problem with wipers and hi beams. i solved my highbeam wires (see below) my wipers were fine until i almost swapped out body control modules, but decided nto to.. anyway i didn't plug the wiper connector in all the way.. once i plugged the wiper plug all the way into the body control module, they started working properly again. so yours might be slightly unplugged?

I ended up installing a relay (negative setup) and run a wire to the highbeams
from the switch. (get a diagram, find the wire colors for hi beam and temp hi beam) test those wires to see if the switch is working. if it is working run those wires to your relay.
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for all the information. Turns out I did have the multifunction lever/switch replaced. I got one from a wrecker. Also replaced the wiper motor and wiper transmission. Now, I have to have the transmission checked. It bangs into gear when it's warmed up . I think i bought a lemon. lol
Old February 28th, 2015, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Rascal
Thanks for all the information. Turns out I did have the multifunction lever/switch replaced. I got one from a wrecker. Also replaced the wiper motor and wiper transmission. Now, I have to have the transmission checked. It bangs into gear when it's warmed up . I think i bought a lemon. lol
You should check out this thread:

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/imp...-issues-59309/
Old February 28th, 2015, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT MINE IS DOING!!!! Thank you!!! I won't do any of this myself but I'll call the driveline place after the weekend. I've dealt with them before and they are super!! Thank you so much!!

Last edited by Rascal; March 1st, 2015 at 8:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Advice needed