Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2015, 3:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dead after contact cleaning, Passlock

I posted last night but it was Sunday night so I am hoping to get some help after everyone gets home from work tonight.

I did the contact cleaning repair for the ignition switch on 2005 Impala. I did not completely reinstall the ignition switch when done, I just let it hang while I tested to make sure problem was fixed. Everything was connected, just not mounted in the dash. When I went to start the car, everything was dead. No interior lights, no dash lights, no horn.

Trying to figure out what was wrong, I remembered that when I went to reconnect the battery cables, I had left the key in the "on" position. Could that have caused my problem?

I have only 4.5 volts throughout the car. Battery is good and has 12.48 volts (when checked across terminals with cables off). I checked and cleaned ground wires, removed and reinstalled the ignition switch several times to make I had done everything correct. I still cannot find anything wrong.

I did go out and purchase a new ignition switch but have yet to install. I am hoping someone has an idea before I waste my $80 on an non-returnable part. Help please.
Old February 24th, 2015, 7:00 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by eightmin
I posted last night but it was Sunday night so I am hoping to get some help after everyone gets home from work tonight.

I have only 4.5 volts throughout the car. Battery is good and has 12.48 volts (when checked across terminals with cables off). I checked and cleaned ground wires, removed and reinstalled the ignition switch several times to make I had done everything correct. I still cannot find anything wrong.
Your battery seems to be bad.
4.5 volts tells me you have a bad battery or a very serious short that would be smoking and getting very hot. Measuring the voltage at the battery with no load is not a good test of the battery condition.
Old February 25th, 2015, 6:01 AM
CF Beginner

Default eightmin

You have a bad connection somewhere (corroded??). Check from the "good" battery back and see where you lose 12 volts. Be sure to check for a good ground from the battery to the engine first. Then go to the fuse box entry point. Follow the voltage. Good Luck.
Old February 26th, 2015, 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

Default pass lock fix

I need the diagram you was talking about to fix the ignition myself!!
Old March 12th, 2015, 7:53 PM
CF Beginner

Default can you send me the diagram to bypass the pass lock on my 99 chevy suburban to

Hi
Can you send me the the diagram to bypass pass lock on my 99 suburban to tato796@gmail.com

Thanks
Ernesto
Old March 13th, 2015, 1:27 AM
CF Beginner

First off...Thank you to everyone who has contributed thus far to the discussion - especially mobileinstaller. Your guidance has been invaluable.

FOR THE LAZY - diagram is Post #195.

2002 Impala - 3.4L

I have not yet performed any mods, my ignition is currently disassembled and I'm waiting to hear back from a friend who works for a company that sold these sensors to GM (preassembled). Once I hear back I will share with the thread what I've learned. I'm also going to clean the contacts in the meantime. Also considering the NO SOLDER SOLUTION I found here (credit to the poster, I don't remember who you are!)

My issue may or may not be relevant here...but I'll share it anyway.

I took my car to the shop for a completely unrelated fix (straight pipe the resonator)...found out the fuel pressure regulator was leaking (no welding), so I took the car home (picked it up and it started like it always did - without issue)...then started it back up about 2 hours later without any issue. The next morning it wouldn't start. I called the shop and they told me they had a really hard time getting it started, too...took over 20 minutes...etc. I replaced the fuel pressure regulator and it started without any issue. I figured the car was good so my wife and I went shopping - died in the parking lot. I haven't been able to get it to start since.

Done/Checked...

50+PSI at the Schrader Valve - Fuel Pump is working
Spark at all 6 - Ignition system is working
Spraying starter fluid through the throttle body will get it to fire up momentarily - spark is good and it's a fuel delivery issue...right?

I have always had the Security message display when starting, I just figured it was normal. I've never had an issue with the car starting before, so I've been trying to figure out what could make it stop all of a sudden. I do have a leaky lower intake (far too common) and the crank/camshaft sensors are both showing up in the OBDII (I've kind of been neglecting the car over the winter).

Is this Passlock or could it be something else? I'm testing the injector pulse this weekend to eliminate that, too.

Last edited by MatthewK; March 13th, 2015 at 1:40 AM.
Old April 12th, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default tried to remove radio

ok my son tried to remove the radio on hi 03 impala. well now even the key wont turn. he's had lots of advice that it's the pass system. from what I'm reading it's both the pass & ignition tumbler. thanks in advance any advice will help
Old April 21st, 2015, 10:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2001 silverado 5.3

hi there i am new here and really need help my 2001 silverado security is killing me can you please tell me how to the bypass the system i have changed just about everything and just can not trust truck to go in where its a 2001 silverado 2 wheel drive full load with 73000 klm on it
Old April 26th, 2015, 4:27 PM
CF Beginner

Will installing a remote starter bypass a passlock problem?
Old May 2nd, 2015, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Is this a passlock problem with our car?????? 04 impala. engine cranks over but won't fire unless you hold footfeed to floor, then still takes awhile to start. Smells very rich gas. Runs high idle, & if you step on footfeed the idle comes up & takes awhile to go back down, but never to a slow idle. We changed plugs & fuel filter. Only code ever thrown was for thermostat sensor (will replace thermostat if code comes back but it hasn't) HELP - it's our 16 yr old daughters car!

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!