Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:25 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Finally a cheap passlock fix!

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2015, 10:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default frustrated... 05 Chevy Colorado

I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado. the ignition has been completely replaced, I have a cool start remote start and I am having this issue for the third time. it starts fine and after 2 seconds it dies. about a year ago I had the entire ignition replaced because that's what the dealer told me the issue was. a month ago I started It and it dies doing the same exact thing. after a few days of trying the passlock reset and resetting my remote start remote it started again. this morning I wake up to go to work and it happens again. I was told that there was a kill switch for my cool start remote start and I'm not seeing it. the dealer told me that my remote start could be the issue so I stopped using it after it happened the second time. I've also heard of locking the door before I started it, making sure the door sensor goes off so that it recognizes that the door is open and they even tried pressing the unlock button on my remote start remote and it still is not working. everything in the vehicle is Manuel nothing is automatic. I do recognize that after about 2 years of having remote start the door sensor went off when it wanted to. also a month ago when this happened I noticed that the passlock light was still lit after I got it started. I'm not very mechanically inclined so I try what I can between reading from the booked the Internet and others opinions and trying things myself but this is just getting ridiculous. If anyone has some suggestions I would really appriciate it.
Old May 5th, 2015, 10:56 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by angelfish824
Will installing a remote starter bypass a passlock problem?
I have a remote start starter and it seems to get worse. I have an 05 Chevy Colorado.
Old May 26th, 2015, 9:23 PM
CF Beginner

Default Light

Originally Posted by shawnvw
Passlock only takes 10mins to relearn itself. If you are taking hours, i'll bet that either the sensor is no longer sending the resistance to the bcm, or you have some wiring issues.

Are you sure that the vehicle is going into passlock? Does the security light flash if you turn the key on(engine off)?
yes light flashing all the time with key in and out and when armed with remote
Old June 4th, 2015, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Default need to bypass system

hello, I am interested in the diagram you suggested to bypass the security system. I have been experiencing problems with my car. It is the only vehicle my family has. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help us out. Thank you.
Originally Posted by mobileinstaller
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Old June 22nd, 2015, 1:41 AM
CF Beginner

Default Can u send me da diagram.my mechanic changed out the ignition on my 04 impala no star

Just changed out the ignition switch on 04 impala. Tried to do a relearn not working. Please send diagram to bypass
ok first off changing the ignition switch and tumblers will do absolutely nothing sorry if you have already done this. there are three main components to the passlock II system the passlock sensor, the BCM, and the Ecm and of course the wiring in between. Odds are if this keeps happening and there is no other problems such as door locks freaking out trunk release just goin off then it's not the bcm if you do the relearn feature and it works the it is also not the Ecm. so you are left with the 3 wires that run from the bcm to the passlock sensor.odds are the passlock sensor is bad. now there are two solutions either go to the dealer and have the sensor replaced or bypass the system for good. any respectable mobile electonics installer should be able to do this no problem it takes me about 20 mins and i personally charge 40 dollars to do so hope this helps also if you are mechanically inclined in electronics i can send a diagram on how to bypass it yourself hope this all helps
Old July 10th, 2015, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Can you send me the wiring diagram please
Old July 20th, 2015, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

Default Please send me the info on the passlock please.

Originally Posted by jondoe28
Had this done a couple of weeks ago. Hasn't acted up once, security hasn't come on at
all either. Hired our tractor mechanic to do it. Said 2 contacts were burnt on key switch.
Used sand paper to clean them, and good to go. Cut and pasted from another site:

I just fixed my 2002 impala security light issue. It cost me 2 hours, no money. Here is how the system works. The passlock sensor and the ignition switch are in series. When you turn your key you generate a low current read by the body control module. If the current generated is out of range the BCM won't recognize the signal and your car won't start for 10 min. There could be different reasons why the signal is out of range. On most of the cases the ignition switch contacts are burned out, and this will cause a voltage drop on the contact so the signal getting to the BCM is going to be lower than usual so it will be out of range. Take your ignition switch out (if you don't know how send me your e-mail (believe me I'm not looking for e-mail addresses I just need to scan the instructions, since I have them only printed out) and I'll send you detailed instructions for free. Once the switch is out remove the cover on the back of the switch (it is clipped on, all you need is a flat head screwdriver). Once the cover is removed you should see 5 fairly big electric contacts. I bet at least one or two are burned out. Clean them with fine sand paper until their surface is clean and flat and make sure the steel springs pressing the contacts together are tight and are pushing the contacts firmly. If not, using pliers bend them to get good contacts. Reinstall the switch and your car should start every time. If the contacts are really bad you might have to change the ignition switch.
I know dealers want to change every part on the car so please do not let them change the passlock sensor. The passlock sensor is a hall sensor and there is no reason for the sensor to go bad.
Could you please send me the info on the passlock. jreesetheboss@gmail.com

Last edited by jreesetheboss; July 20th, 2015 at 8:41 PM. Reason: Forgot email address.
Old July 24th, 2015, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 02 impala. Passlock seems to bet controlled by voltage sent by key cylinder. Replaced key cylinder and did relearn several times to no avail. Key is not transponder and no chip on key. Cannot see anything between switch and BCM. BCM sending 11+ volts to ignition key cylinder. I see nothing in descriptions on the posts that seem to be this Passlock system. I need to see if I can bypass. Any answers? I would appreciate any help.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Default 02 impala pass lock?

As I said, mine seems to be rare as it seems to have all electrical in key cylinder. Nothing on the back to remove, Is mine the only one that has this setup. The BCM is feeding 11+ volts to the key cylinder. The key cylinder seems to contain the pass lock. New ignition switch. Have tried relearning several times. Also changed ignition relay. Have deleted bad codes, anything I am missing. Saw a bypass with 2.2 resister being placed between black wire and yellow wire with yellow disconnected at switch. Any feedback is welcome. thank You.
Old July 24th, 2015, 10:53 AM
CF Beginner

Replaced key cylinder, not switch. Sorry

Quick Reply: Finally a cheap passlock fix!