Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Hesitates then slams into first gear

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2015, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitates then slams into first gear

I have a 2008 Impala. I start the car and let it idle down a bit. But, when I put it into drive and press the gas, it hesitates. If I let off the gas and press again, it usually goes fine. But, if I keep the pedal pressed, it slams into first and goes. My first thought was the transmission. But, after reading through a lot of things, I hear that it could be an issue with the throttle body sensor, or throttle body. I had an issue about a year ago with the pedal position sensor. I had the "reduced engine power" warning pop up and lost all power. If that is the issue, I am more than capable of swapping it out. I think I can do the throttle body too. I just don't want to waste time and money if it really is the transmission. Anyone have some helpful input?
Old December 12th, 2015, 8:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

First thing to check is the transmission fluid level. It could that if it is too low.
Old December 12th, 2015, 1:50 PM
CF Active Member

+1 oldchevy

If the engine is revving before it slams into first it has nothing to do with the throttle. Does this happen at all temps (ambient and engine)? What happens if you keep your foot on the brake when you put it in D and wait, does it eventually engage? Does it also do this when you come to a stop (red light)?
Old December 12th, 2015, 5:37 PM
CF Beginner

How long have you had your 2008 Impala?

My 2007 Impala car that I bought with 67K miles on it seems to do this too. I've only driven it 12 miles but I think it's not an actual problem with the transmission or engine but an illusion from the gas pedal force needed to accelerate tighter than in any other vehicle I've ever owned. Very odd and a bit unsettling. The lady that sold it too me didn't look like she'd miss the car that she sold me.

And the steering is so light and at large angles but then you find yourself making a very sharp turn...

I've read the 2007 Impala reviews on Edmonds.com and a lot of people voiced both complaints but none a verifiable solution. It seems these cars are designed like this.

I've never driven a car like it. It will take some getting used to for me to drive it comfortably.