Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Power window issues

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power window issues

Hi. We are having issues with the windows in the wife's 04 Impala. The passenger side rear window was put down an inch and now it won't go back up. In fact, none of the windows move now. Up or down. I have had a similar problem in another car before and it was simply a broken wire or two in the boot at the door hinge. That was my first thought so I wiggled the wires while working the switches. Nothing. The difference I noticed with this car though, is that I can hear power going to the motor in the drivers door. I didn't have that when the wires were broken on the other car. But this car I hear something going on. But only the drivers door. None of the windows move with any of the switches and the only noise I get is the drivers door. Any suggestions? I plan on looking deeper into the broken wire possibility but thought that hearing that noise, well, maybe the motor? That doesn't explain ALL windows though.
Old March 14th, 2013, 10:26 AM
CF Active Member

The first thing to check is the child lock in the windows and make sure that this switch is not stopping the other windows. These switches can go and it will stop all power to the window regulators.

You should pull the door panel off the passenger side rear door and look at the window regulator, while moving the switch up or down. It is quite possible that the regular needs to be replaced. The regulator includes a new motor and track for the window. It is possible that you have a few different problems that is causing the other windows. Unfortunately, these parts do not last a long time. I have had both front windows go at the same time in vehicles. It isn't a great task, but can be accomplished taking your time.

Dorman products makes some good aftermarket replacement window regulators. Dorman Products

They also list the instructions for replacing the part on their site. It looks like the part number for your passenger rear window is 741-623

Good luck with the repair.
Old March 15th, 2013, 6:16 PM
CF Beginner

Got time to get a better look at it yesterday. It was a broken wire in the door hinge boot. Up and running again. Thanks mulmur1 for your time though. Gotta love the free, easy fixes.