Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

power steering filter

Search this Thread

Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power steering filter

Where is a good location for installing an inline power steering filter on a 2006 Chevy Impala with 3.9 LTR engine ?
Also which line to use....from pump to rack and pinion
or the return line......or does it make a difference ?
Old October 22nd, 2012, 6:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

why would a filter be needed for a power steering system?
Old October 23rd, 2012, 3:52 PM
CF Beginner

I had a power steering pump replaced and mechanic found very tiny particles of metal. More like the size of dust particles.
He then flushed the system twice to clear up the fluid. I read that a filter can double the life of the rack and pinion. Maybe yes, maybe no. After my experience with the power steering pump, I decided it wouldn't hurt to install a filter and the cost is minimal, so why not ? The filter has a magnet in it and a 25 micron filter and a by-pass if it should tend to clog up....Is it a waste of time and money ????????who knows ??
Old October 23rd, 2012, 4:10 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by angsim
I had a power steering pump replaced and mechanic found very tiny particles of metal. More like the size of dust particles.
He then flushed the system twice to clear up the fluid. I read that a filter can double the life of the rack and pinion. Maybe yes, maybe no. After my experience with the power steering pump, I decided it wouldn't hurt to install a filter and the cost is minimal, so why not ? The filter has a magnet in it and a 25 micron filter and a by-pass if it should tend to clog up....Is it a waste of time and money ????????who knows ??
I've never heard of one, but it should go as any filter at the inlet to the very first device. 25 micron is small, however your oil filter is probably at least a 10. That magnet is a bypass valve if the differentail across the filter exceeds (my aircraft expereince was 50 psid) it will open the bypass around the filter. Having metal particuals in the fluid I suspect it has been run dry before. The pump is a grotor running in (or supposed to) fluid, there should be NO wear.

Last edited by kevinkpk; October 23rd, 2012 at 4:15 PM.
Old October 24th, 2012, 8:25 AM
CF Beginner

There SHOULD BE no wear...Pump was never run dry or low on fluid..
What about wear from the rack and pinion ?? There IS friction between rack and pinion ??
Old October 25th, 2012, 8:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

I don't know anything about filters for power steering systems. If your trying to protect your steering gear from another pump blow-up, the filter would have to go after the pump and before the steering gear on the high pressure side.

Must be an amazing filter that can catch debris so small but withstand the 600 plus psi the pump can generate.

Who sells the filter?

Good luck.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

Auto zone sells the filter. How much pressure is in the RETURN LINE ?