Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Service air bag warning - possible fix

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2014, 7:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Service air bag warning - possible fix

We recently got a Service Air Bag message and the air bag light came on and stayed on. It cost us $100 at a Chevy dealer for them to unplug a connector, hit it with some cleaner, and reconnect it. We got the impression this is not the first time that problem showed up.
So, if you get the airbag warning, check the connector to the sensor in the passenger seat that turns the airbags on or off based on weight of the passenger. Unplug it, spray it with a little contact cleaner (WD40 may work), and plug it back together.
The connector is probably on the side toward the center console since they tried to tell us the problem was our fault because we had a couple of brochures tucked in between the seat and the console.
Old May 24th, 2014, 8:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

don't spray electrical connectors with wd40. di-electric grease, used sparingly, is the proper fix.

wd40 is junk for backyarders...haven't seen it in an automotive shop in 10years.

Last edited by tech2; May 24th, 2014 at 8:23 PM.
Old June 1st, 2014, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 Impala is pitching this for the second time. I reseated the connector under the pass seat once before and it went away for several months. Now it's happening again and usually when the temp inside has reached 100 degrees from sitting in the sun. After I run the AC for a while it will clear itself.
Is there a way to solve this or am I stuck with band aiding it till I trade it in?
Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use some contact cleaner before di-eletric grease.

Or just replace the part ...
Old June 2nd, 2014, 7:06 AM
Super Moderator

if your 100% sure its that connector in question, and di-electric is not fixing it, you could have a professional hard wire it, eliminating the connector. However, if the seat has to come out, without the connector, the wires will have to be cut. To solder air bag wiring, disable the system, do not use an electric soldering iron as it can induce current in the wire. use heat shrink to insulate the connector and wrap the wiring in yellow electrical tape.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 9:20 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks but I don't like to monkey around with the airbag wires. Just disconnecting and reconnect is as close as I want to get so I'll clean it and put di-electric lube on it one more time.
Oh, can you disable the air bag with a fuse-pull or is it more in-depth?
Old June 3rd, 2014, 9:41 PM
Super Moderator

your smart then. that's why I recommended a professional do it.
if you pull the fuse, the airbag light will come on all the time.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tnoc
Thanks but I don't like to monkey around with the airbag wires. Just disconnecting and reconnect is as close as I want to get so I'll clean it and put di-electric lube on it one more time.
It's not really an airbag wire.

It's just a sensor to turn off the airbag. Think about it - it's either telling the airbag that there's someone in the seat or not. If you get into a crash without someone in the seat - it's no big deal.

As it is now, you can't make it any worse.

Last edited by sledge.impy; June 3rd, 2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: *this does not constitute as professional advice. Please consult someone real.
Old June 4th, 2014, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

if it has yellow loom....pretty sure they go to the pretensioner and side air bags; both of which can deploy.
Old June 6th, 2014, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. It looks like the cheap pin connectors inside the loom are loose. If so the contact cleaner will again be temporary.
What is the best way to disable the airbag system while I work on the cable? I've been disconnecting the battery cable but that resets everything.

Quick Reply: Service air bag warning - possible fix