Impala While undergoing many facelifts in its history, the Impala has proved itself to both civilians and police forces as one of the most capable 4-door cars GM has ever offered. Currently moving towards its 10th generation the Impala is one of the longest lasting and popular models.

2014 Chevrolet Impala
Includes: Bel-air
Platform: B-body & W-body

Service air bag warning - possible fix

Search this Thread

Old June 6th, 2014, 9:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The manual states to disconnect the battery to allow the systems to discharge and prevent accidental deployment of the air bag. If I'm not mistaken, the connector on the airbag was supposed to include a shorting clip, so designed that when disconnected, shorts across both pins thereby preventing discharge of the bag. If the wires are cut and soldered, then this would remove the protection device.
Old June 6th, 2014, 7:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

disconnecting the battery, then waiting for 10mins for the capacitors to discharge is the proper way. buy some dielectric grease; its cheap and may save you repeat repairs.
Old June 6th, 2014, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
disconnecting the battery, then waiting for 10mins for the capacitors to discharge is the proper way. buy some dielectric grease; its cheap and may save you repeat repairs.
I was changing my radiator fan in a 2002 j-body once.. without disconnecting the battery.

Anyways - after removing the radiator support my abs sensor was shaken to hell and back.. "BOOOIINNNGGG" type... lol

Even though I did some research - the newer sensor require other sensors or movement to activate air bags, I started the car from the rear seat behind the driver seat with ear plugs in.. lol
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

2 sensors must trip for an airbag module to deploy. the first is the impact sensor located at the perimeter of the car. the 2nd is the safeing sensor or sdm located in a central location in the vehicle. if only one goes off...no deployment. If current is induced into the deployment loop then all bets are off.
Old June 6th, 2014, 11:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
2 sensors must trip for an airbag module to deploy. the first is the impact sensor located at the perimeter of the car. the 2nd is the safeing sensor or sdm located in a central location in the vehicle. if only one goes off...no deployment. If current is induced into the deployment loop then all bets are off.
Thanks for clarification.