Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

02 Malibu no start

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Malibu no start

Hello everyone, new member first time posting. Recently my Malibu (Ms. Snow, White Lightning, White Stallion etc) will not start. It started last Thursday morning before I drove to class. Got in, attempted to start, engine would crank, but not turn over and fire. Was like this for 5 minutes until finally it sort of sputtered to life and off I drove. "That was weird" I thought, but let it go. Got out of class, walked to my car, did the same thing but would not start at all. Got picked up and went home and started researching this problem and found out that most common answer was the theft system and fuel pump that was the problem. Did the procedure for the theft system, didn't work, towed it home. Changed the fuel pump myself (felt quite manly afterwards) and didn't work. Altenator is new, battery is good, cable connections are good, spark plugs are new. What else could be the problem? I really want to learn how to do this myself because I want to start learning about cars before studying automotive tech starting next semester. Any help welcomed, please and thank you!!

02 Chevy Malibu 2WD base model
Old September 12th, 2012, 12:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Do a fuel pressure check. I know you said that you changed the pump but do the check anyway.
Old September 12th, 2012, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. Just to follow up, if the pressure is fine, what would be the next thing to check?