Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2008 Malibu....Why is there water in my passenger rear floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old September 19th, 2009, 10:34 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Malibu....Why is there water in my passenger rear floorboard?

I have a 2008 Malibu. I have discovered there is water in the passenger rear flooboard. I haven't driven through any high water and haven't been through a car wash. It has rained a day or two in my area, but not hard. It is garaged and all stock. Could this be a manufacturer defect? Any help would be appreciated.
Old July 21st, 2011, 10:23 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem with my 2008 Malibu, water leakage in the back floorboard, I was told at the dealer that it was the air conditioner drain being clogged. I had it repaired and still have leakage, anyone know why this problem is occuring? Thanks
Old July 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum to both of you. The A/C drain hose isn't plugged up if you see water dripping underneath the middle of the firewall after parking. The water out the hose is probably getting wicked in through the foam seal around the hose while the vehicle is in motion. See TSB #09-01-37-002D in my post https://chevroletforum.com/forum/mal...82/#post177718.
Old July 21st, 2011, 4:02 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

loydtruss,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. Did you get this fixed the first time at your local Chevrolet dealer?

Thank you,
Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Unhappy Water in floor board

I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu that I bought brand new. A few weeks ago I noticed water in the rear floor board. My husband and I pulled all the carpet out and took out about 3 gallons of water. We completely dried it out and took it to be fixed. It was not fixed at the first dealership. We are currently sitting in the second dealership for the second time. Because no one can seem to fix it. The car has less than 60000 miles on it. The water fills the floor board when you drive with the ac on. When the car is parked and the ac is running nothing happens. Is there a recall on this???
Old July 28th, 2015, 10:33 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by lkeith
I have a 2011 Chevy Malibu that I bought brand new. A few weeks ago I noticed water in the rear floor board. My husband and I pulled all the carpet out and took out about 3 gallons of water. We completely dried it out and took it to be fixed. It was not fixed at the first dealership. We are currently sitting in the second dealership for the second time. Because no one can seem to fix it. The car has less than 60000 miles on it. The water fills the floor board when you drive with the ac on. When the car is parked and the ac is running nothing happens. Is there a recall on this???
Hi Lkeith,

We truly apologize for the unexpected concerns and completely understand how frustrating this may seem. Please let us know if you need any additional assistance with this further. We would be more than happy to look into this and get in touch with the dealership. Just send us over a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 3rd, 2015, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same Issue

I have a 2008 Malibu and began experiencing this problem as well. In doing internet searches, I am seeing this is a common problem. Why is this not considered a design flaw and a recall issued by Chevy/GMC? I was told it is due to the way the air conditioning lines are wired under the seat and when it backs up water pools in the back passenger seat. I was quoted $600.00 to repair.
Old September 3rd, 2015, 11:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

This sounds very familiar.

I had a car that had A/C vents in the back. The pipes the cold air flowed through to the back weren't insulated. When I took it to the beach, the kids liked to have the windows down but I needed ice cold air because it was 100% humidity so I kept the A/C on full blast. The cold air through the pipes caused condensation to form on the pipes which dripped down and filled both floor board areas in the rear with 2 inches of water in just 1 hour of the windows being down. A good bit of water flowed under the carpet as well and it was like a waterbed.
Old September 4th, 2015, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

I don't have any children & it's no vents in the back. The problem occurs when I run the air conditioner. It does not properly drain which causes the water to fill up in the rear right passenger floor board. It's only in that area. It's beyond frustrating.
Old September 15th, 2015, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Angry Frustrated

I have the same problem and the dealership said they are having a hard time figuring it out! Very frustrating. I am getting a ton of water that I soak up every day and it is completely saturated. It is all due to the AC somehow! The dealership said they had to completely tear apart the dashboard to figure out what could be the problem. They feel it is the HVAC module and are completely replacing it. However, they did not guarantee that this was the issue! Over $1,000 for everything! This seems like it should be a recall issue or something that I am not completely responsible for since it is happening in other vehicles....especially when they don't know for sure what it is and if this fix will completely fix it. What to do????

Last edited by Hoss777; September 15th, 2015 at 2:42 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Malibu....Why is there water in my passenger rear floorboard?