Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2008 Malibu....Why is there water in my passenger rear floorboard?

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoss777
I have the same problem and the dealership said they are having a hard time figuring it out! Very frustrating. I am getting a ton of water that I soak up every day and it is completely saturated. It is all due to the AC somehow! The dealership said they had to completely tear apart the dashboard to figure out what could be the problem. They feel it is the HVAC module and are completely replacing it. However, they did not guarantee that this was the issue! Over $1,000 for everything! This seems like it should be a recall issue or something that I am not completely responsible for since it is happening in other vehicles....especially when they don't know for sure what it is and if this fix will completely fix it. What to do????
Hello Hoss777,

This is certainly something we don’t like to hear from our customers, and would be more than happy to look further into this A/C concern for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealership, contact information and any addition details you see fit.
Could you please clarify the following for us as well: Is your vehicle currently experiencing this concern at this time? Also, has your dealership performed their recommended repairs?

We look forward to your response, and are available if you have any additional questions.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old September 21st, 2015, 3:25 PM
AJ3
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Hoss777,

This is certainly something we don’t like to hear from our customers, and would be more than happy to look further into this A/C concern for you. Please send us a private message with your VIN, current mileage, involved dealership, contact information and any addition details you see fit.
Could you please clarify the following for us as well: Is your vehicle currently experiencing this concern at this time? Also, has your dealership performed their recommended repairs?

We look forward to your response, and are available if you have any additional questions.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
I have the same problem and I only had my vehicle for a year. Purchased it from Hendricks Chevrolet in Hoover and I didn't notice it until the other day. I was noticing a strange smell but didn't know where it was coming from. I took it to them today and they said my warranty doesn't cover that because its internal.
Old October 13th, 2015, 11:02 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation 2008 chevy mailbu ls with water in my back floor

I have the same problem haven't had my cat but a month an I been vacuuming water every day I don't even use my a/c an its water deep cannot let anyone sit on that side they will be wet up I have contacted the dealer I bought it from they don't know anything but I have to pay out my pocket ..we have looked underneath this car for leaks an I'm not happy with this my car has a odor I have to buy airfreshners for this cat weekly an vacuum every other day
Old August 4th, 2016, 9:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Hi helen.

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hello Hoss777,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Hi Helen,

I'm writing you to see if you have come up with a solution to the a/c leaking water. My car is a 2008 malibu, and I am experiencing the same problem, and now my car is starting to stink. If you could right me back I would greatly appreciate it.
Old August 24th, 2016, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

2008 Chevy Malibu, approximately 70,000 miles. There is a massive amount of water pooling into the rear passenger floorboard, we cannot keep up with removing the water. I see that several people have complained about this,and I am wondering why there is not a recall on this issue?
Old July 25th, 2021, 7:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Still having the issue with water on the floorboard

Looks like the last email on this thread was from 2016. I recently inherited a 2009 Chevy Malibu and it is having the same issue with water in the rear floorboard when the air conditioner is on.
Has their been a recall or a fix to this issue. It is reallly annoying and smelly!!

Thanks,
Kim
The following users liked this post:
Tss1022 (January 13th, 2022)
Old January 13th, 2022, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same frustrating issue

I've had my 2008 Malibu since 2010 and have had the same issue forever. I've taken it to the dealer ship multiple times and they can't find anything or figure it out. If this many people are having the exact same issue and in different locations, how is this not a recall? My car smells and living in Fl, mold and mildew also comes with hot, dark, wet spots. I've had the carpets deep cleaned and the water removed several times already. Now, the interior is always humid, damp and clammy even when it's cold. If anyone has a successful resolution, please advise.

Thank you
Old January 28th, 2022, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default Convertible sunroof

The AC drain is clogged or the heater core is leaking.
only issue I found other than these is a 0-60 in under 4 second from passenger.
Cheers