Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2004 Malibu Classic electrical problem!!

Old February 21st, 2012, 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2004 Malibu Classic electrical problem!!

I currently own a 2004 chevy malibu classic 4 cyl automatic. For the past 6 months or so I've had to drive my car with some sort of electrical problem that causes all electric components of my car to malfunction. The car starts fine every single time but my theft system light comes on. As I'm driving here is the list of things that occur on a daily basis:

-headlights go out randomly if on AUTO
-all gauges flatline then bounce around randomly along with clicking noise somewhere in the dash
-AC will not work
-Radio will cut out every couple seconds then turn back on
-Trunk will randomly pop open
-Turn signals will click extremely fast or not at all.
-Electric windows take 30seconds to roll all the way down(extremely slow).
-Cig Lighters do not work (fuses are new)

Please help!! The car is mechanically working perfectly but all of these electrical problems are a huge pain to deal with on a daily basis. Not to mention summer is right around the corner here in AZ!

I'm open to any feedback, Thanks!
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:39 PM
CF Beginner

Sounds like you have a bad ground problem in the electrical system.
Old March 28th, 2012, 4:39 PM
CF Beginner

Do you have any suggestions on where to possibly look for this bad ground problem?

Thanks!
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

What happened 6 months ago? Did you replace the radio? Install an alarm system? Did this intermittent problem start after you got the car back from repair service such as but not limited to: state inspection, oil change, etc.

other possible causes:
Bad Ign. key switch
Bad alternator and or battery (deep charge battery to see if problem goes away, if the problem goes away temporally, then it might be a bad Alternator and/or battery)
loose ground connection on firewall or under dash. (remove clove box and look for loose ground wires attached to firewall)

I have a 2001 Malibu; I'll look in my service manual for more possible causes.

Since this is a intermittent problem, while car is running at idle, you could jiggle some wires under the dash and/or the engine compartment to see if you can repeat the issue. You may need two people for this test.

I replaced the Alternator (New aftermarket) and Goodyear gatorback serpertine belt on Ebay on my car 2 months ago because it was making a very loud noise and I heard clicking noises under the dash as well. Once I replaced it the car seemed more peppy. Such as headlights became twice as bright, car went faster, etc. This may not be your case, but I would look into it though.

Also, does the Theft system led on the radio come on every time a problem occures?

Also, there might be more than one problem causing these issues. Possibly a short and loose ground wires.
Old April 8th, 2012, 7:23 PM
CF Beginner

The issue started out of nowhere one day when the radio clicked off and turned back on when the clicking noise happened under the dash. I didn't think anything of it until it started happening more frequently. The previous owner of the car installed a dvd player in the roof and left all of the wires still in the car so I thought this might be the problem. I took out every wire and replaced my blown fuses but the issue still occurs. I have an aftermarket radio/cd player installed at the moment but all of the connections with it are secure so I know this isn't the problem.

At first when the clicking happened my AC would turn on normally but after it started getting worse, the AC just stopped blowing altogether. I removed the blower and tested it manually and it works fine so it must be the electrical malfunction that is causing it to not even turn on anymore.

After taking all the excess wires out of the car from the poorly installed dvd player and replacing the fuses, the car seemed peppy also but the AC still would not turn on. The headlights were twice as bright along with my dash lights, and my gauges started working again. This only lasted a couple of days and then it went back to the normal clicking and all the electronics malfunctioning again.

As far as the theft system goes, I watched a video on YOUTUBE of a guy bypassing his theft system on his malibu with a toggle switch to get it to start right away so I did this also but it had zero effect. The theft system light will come on and off randomly.

I unplugged the factory radio in the car due to the beeping everytime the clicking happened because my gauges would flatline and the car thought I was out of gas. (Very annoying)

I will look into charging the battery and checking wires for loose connections.
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Find the click

See if you can cause the clicking problem to occur and check out the relay that's making the clicking sound. See if there might be a ground wire from the dash to the chassis. If you can't find one, try installing a temporary one as a test. Try to get a wiring diagram (all data) to get some ideas of what might be the problem.
Old April 10th, 2012, 2:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Anti theft

The anti theft light should be on all the time when the ignition is on if you followed the U tube video on disabling the anti theft system. Look at the other suggestions: grounds, bad connections, ignition switch, etc.
Old April 11th, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

I would put every thing back the way it was when it came from the factory. Such as put back the factory radio, put back the anti theft system. don't forget to solder all wires. Make it neat. Also, I forgot to ask you, was the car a "Flood Car" ? If it was, there will be corrosion everywhere.
Did you perform the battery recharge yet? If you recharged the battery over night on trickle charge, and now the symptoms go away, then it might be a bad alternator. Also check all wires going to and from the Alternator and battery. Did you check all the relays in the engine compartment. Switch them around, make sure you have the correct type in the correct sockets.
Old January 29th, 2022, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default I have some options

Originally Posted by mmuller1
I currently own a 2004 chevy malibu classic 4 cyl automatic. For the past 6 months or so I've had to drive my car with some sort of electrical problem that causes all electric components of my car to malfunction. The car starts fine every single time but my theft system light comes on. As I'm driving here is the list of things that occur on a daily basis:

-headlights go out randomly if on AUTO
-all gauges flatline then bounce around randomly along with clicking noise somewhere in the dash
-AC will not work
-Radio will cut out every couple seconds then turn back on
-Trunk will randomly pop open
-Turn signals will click extremely fast or not at all.
-Electric windows take 30seconds to roll all the way down(extremely slow).
-Cig Lighters do not work (fuses are new)

Please help!! The car is mechanically working perfectly but all of these electrical problems are a huge pain to deal with on a daily basis. Not to mention summer is right around the corner here in AZ!

I'm open to any feedback, Thanks!
So have u checked the ground from from the battery to the motor and have you checked the ground to the frame also is your Fuze box under the hood grounded down properly cause bottom line your problem is a bad ground now as far as where there is alot of possibilities but I would look up the ground wiring schematics and start with the major grounds them selves but I would say from the sounds of it I would almost bet money on it that it's your ecu that is that problem could be wrong when it comes to electrical it can be tricky but a bad ignition switch is the most common cause of your symptoms but u replaced it you said now when you replaced did you program it in cause when they are replaced they are supposed to be programmed in and they are replaced and not programmed it will do exactly what your saying FYI hope it helps