Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

99 Chevy Malibu 2.4 - Rocks back and forth in drive while stopped

Search this Thread

Old July 30th, 2016, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 Chevy Malibu 2.4 - Rocks back and forth in drive while stopped

Hello,

My wife's 99 Chevy Malibu has been rocking back and forth while stopped, and it's getting pretty bad. I decided to replace all 4 of the engine mounts this evening. The front transmission mount was broken/ripped. I figured for sure replacing all these mounts would fix the issue, but the engine still rocks back and forth causing the entire car to kind of shuffle back and forth in a small motion. It's a little better since the new mounts, but the car still does it...

Are there any additional things I could replace to try and stop this motion from happening? The car has around 245,000 miles, and I don't remember this problem when we bought it around 175,000. I'm at my wits end, and probably not going to spend anymore money on this thing unless I know for sure it's going to solve the problem.

Thanks for any insight!
Old July 30th, 2016, 11:39 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

Is the engine idle speed going up and down while it is rocking? Might just need a good tune up.
Old July 31st, 2016, 5:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Engine idle stays the same. The car runs great - tune up components are up to date.