Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Current Chevrolet Car Models > Malibu
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 10:25 AM
CF Beginner

Default Bluetooth Upgrade

Just bought a 2009 Malibu LT. The salesman told me it had bluetooth and when I looked on the steering wheel it does have the two buttons with the phone symbols - one for mute radio/speak and the other an icon of a phone with a slash through it. So I assumed it had bluetooth as well, since my other GM cars have similar controls. This car has the XM satellite radio as well.

Turns out these buttons only control the mirror mounted On Star system.

Given that I have a microphone overhead for On Star, the buttons in the wheel and the upgraded radio - is there a kit or module or plug-in or something that I can buy to give this integrated bluetooth controlled through the steering wheel?

Thanks for any help.
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 AM
CF Veteran

Welcome to the forum. The Bluetooth for phone option consists of a hardware and software upgrade to the OnStar system. I don't believe there's an official upgrade path to retrofit the option but check with your selling dealer on the final word.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Official GM Rep

GMLouisFischer

santa6,

Have you paired your phone to the vehicle? Bluetooth can be used without using OnStar, as long as you have a compatible phone.

The vehicle must be parked when pairing. The pairing process is disabled when the vehicle is moving.

1. Press and hold "phone/speak" button for two seconds. The system responds with “Ready” followed by a tone.

2. Say “Bluetooth”. The system responds with “Bluetooth ready” followed by a tone.

3. Say “Pair”. The system responds with instructions and a four digit PIN number. The PIN number will be used in Step 4.

4. Start the Pairing process on the cell phone that will be paired to the vehicle. Reference the cell phone manufacturer's user guide for information on this process.

Locate the device named “General Motors” in the list on the cellular phone and follow the instructions on the cell phone to enter the four digit PIN number that was provided in Step 3.

5. The system prompts for a name for the phone. Use a name that best describes the phone. This name will be used to indicate which phone is connected. The system then confirms the name provided.

6. The system responds with “
has been successfully paired” after the pairing process is complete.

7. Repeat Steps 1 through 7 for additional phones to be paired.

This information is also available in the owner's manual, pages 3-75 through 3-85 (3-78 through 3-88 in the digital manual). For your convenience, a digital copy of the manual is available at: http://www.extendedgmwarranty.com/ow...let-Malibu.pdf

To check to see if your phone is compatible with your vehicle, visit: http://gm.com/bluetooth

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact me.

Louis
GM Customer Service

Last edited by Chevrolet Customer Service; 03-03-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Louis,

I have a few other GM vehicles and know how to pair with Bluetooth. On this car, when I press and hold the Phone/speak button, it responds "Ready" and when i say "Bluetooth" it responds with "Pardon, I didn't get that." Then tells me my options are Dial, Store, More Commands, Help or Exit.

I've done more research since my first post and it lookis like a new upgraded GM radio is not the solution - it appears to reside within On Star is not upgradable if I understand things now.

Now I'm looking at third party options.

I could ring that salesman's neck.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:18 PM
CF Beginner

santa,
I just got a 09 and reset the entire bluetooth system.
try speaking towards the rearview mirror-that should be where the microphone is
there should be a voice command after "bluetooth".
you say "list"
after that it will list all paired phones
if there is a paired phone that is not yours they need to be deleted
start at the "bluetooth" menu
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Newly Registered

Santa6 Have you considered Parrot as a third party option. I have used the Parrot MKi 9200 for about 3 years now and I am very happy with it. A little more money but I feel its worth the money. Heres the Link Bluetooth® hands free car kits made for iPod and compatible with iPhone - Parrot MKi9200

Also here is a link to a place that supplies wiring harnesses for the MKi 9200 made the install into a chev truck quite simple. Link www.quickconnectproducts.com

Thats my thoughts hope this helps..

Cheers
Old 03-20-2012, 11:08 PM

Tags
2009, 2012, blue, bluetooth, button, chevy, command, compatible, forums, lt, malibu, phone, phones, tooth, upgrade, voice