Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2006 Malibu SS exhaust upgrade

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2006, 1:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Malibu SS exhaust upgrade

Hey im looking to upgrade the exhuast on my Malibu from headers to the back, with cat backs. Does anyone know any company that sells kits for this car. I have been looking but im having problems finding anything. Not even GM Perfomance Parts has any information, in fact their catalog does not even list the 3.9L V6 as one of the GM engines. Since this is a new engine for 2006, they could either be updating the engine, or dropping it, before they will add it to the catalog. I doubt they are going to drop this engine though, so does anyone have any information, or would it be best to wait for the engine to be more established.
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 2006 Malibu SS exhaust upgrade

my only thought since you cannot find anything is that you may need to go custom. ive done this with most of my cars ranging from a civic up to an evo. you just have to find good shops that know how to mandrel bend. good luck to ya..
Old December 18th, 2006, 2:29 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well sorry to dissapoint but yes it would appear they are dropping it, the 3.6 makes more powerand uses less fuel, and with the Impala the only car left with it, and itis inDOD form it will be goneonce the new impala comes, as the Uplander is getting dropped as well and it is the only other one that uses this engine.
Very expensive engine to produce im told to.

That being said I have Maxx SS I had flashd and put CAI on, that worked awsome for now, I have not found any bolt on kits either and dont expect to, so basically we are going to be on our own for hte most part here I think, or until someoen does it first and, they market it.

On a side note as I have been saying hte Tech in the back saysthese engine can MAKE huge power, someone just has to do it....Im on the way, like I said had the computer flashed and just the CIA for now, tinted it all out, in the workds is remote turbo, lambo doors, and scuicide in the back.
Old January 13th, 2007, 3:17 AM
CF Junior Member

I havent looked in to it fully, I have a pending email to GM Powertrain, but it looks to me thatat least some version of the 3.9L will survive. I have an articledated May 18, 2006 fromtheGM website explaing the edition of Active Fuel Management(AFM) to the 3.9L. It is explained that this edition is the first V6 with theapplication of AFM. This tells me and you can read it too for yourself, that GM would not put this much time and research in a second year engine just to phase it out later on.
Old January 21st, 2007, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Im going to upgrade the exhaust, but im going to wait intill my warranty is up. When I do fix the exhaust im going to upgrade to headers, from a y-pipe to a x-pipe, and flowmaster 40 series delta force all satinless steel. So if kits are made or not im make this upgrade.