Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Extend Range of RKE (starter)

Search this Thread

Old January 21st, 2007, 11:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extend Range of RKE (starter)

Anybody have an idea on how to extend the 200' range of the factory installed Remote Keyless Entry? The aftermarket remote systems I've had on other cars work fromat least4x that distance. I'm nearly to my car at work before I can even think of remote starting it, which kinda defeats the purpose.

I've read on the Tahoe forum that they've been able to do a simple little trick to get a much better range. Kinda hoping I could get a little help trying to do the same thing to my 05 Malibu LS V6.

I appreciate any help anyone has to offer. Thanks in advance.

Killian
Old January 22nd, 2007, 5:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Extend Range of RKE (starter)

I'm going to assume your little trick is by sticking it under your chin. It's worked for me. Also if you have anything in your auxiliary power outlets (cigarette lighter outlets)it will affect your remote starter and keyless entry.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 9:36 AM
CF Beginner

Under your chin ? That is a joke right? Actually I was referring to this post https://chevroletforum.com/m_11353/tm.htm. Guess I should've linked to it in my original message.

Figured I could find this antenna wire on the Malibu , assuming it has one, and try the same. Not sure where to start looking. I've had the moulding off around the rear window before. It's a pain since you have to remove so much just to get to it. Though thats probably where it's located.

Has anyone else tried to do this to thier Malibu?

Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
CF Junior Member

I thought the chin thing was what you meant by 'little trick'. I can only assume then that you are talking about pulling the antenna wire out. I have heard from many different sources (not limited to Chevy) that pulling the antenna wire out increases your range. Give it a shot.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thats alright, I just got a little kick out of the chin thing. Never heard of that.

Figure I'd give it a shot today, just not sure where the antenna is. Hate to start tearing all the panels off without a clue of what I'm looking for. Maybe it'll look similar to the Omron box and antenna that the Tahoe has but I really have no clue. Any thoughts on where it may be located?
Old January 22nd, 2007, 1:59 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Killian

Thats alright, I just got a little kick out of the chin thing. Never heard of that.

Figure I'd give it a shot today, just not sure where the antenna is. Hate to start tearing all the panels off without a clue of what I'm looking for. Maybe it'll look similar to the Omron box and antenna that the Tahoe has but I really have no clue. Any thoughts on where it may be located?
In canada Astro start sells a module to extend the range t 1500 feet ..and ya the chin thing is weird but it works
Old January 22nd, 2007, 5:54 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, update. I have removed rear window mouldings and the rear deck lid. I see no antenna wire other than the radio cable. This wire runs from front of vehicle down driver side to the back. Then up C-pillar, connecting to a small amplifier box which then connects to the rear window built in antenna.

I have looked behind the A-pillar mouldings on both sides. Neither seem to have any wires other than for the airbag system. Also took apart knee bolster, center dash at the radio, and the glove compartment. I do not see any wire that appears to be an antenna for the RKE.

I did a quick range test before I got started this afternoon. Took the car to an empty parking lot with no electrical wires nearby. The furthest I could get was around 150'.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 6:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Hmmm...The remote keyless entry module should be under the rear window 'shelf' ('deck lid' as you put it). If there isn't a little wire coming out of the module then there isn't one.

However, if the RKE is aftermarket it should have a wire coming out of it. I don't know if it is standard for installers to place the aftermarket module in the same location where the stock module would be, so there is no telling where the module could be.

Find the module and you’ll find your wire; or lack thereof.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 6:51 PM
CF Beginner

This is a factory installed RKE with start. No aftermarket system installed.

There is a little box under the carpeted deck shelf between the rear deck speakers. Is this the RKE system? If so, there is only 3 small (maybe 24awg) wires coming out of it. If this is what I'm looking for then there does not appear to be any type of antenna wire from what I can tell.

Any idea how I can extend the range? Anyone? Thanks again.
Old January 22nd, 2007, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Yeah thats your RKE module, but I don't know how to extend your range with this type of system. Actually the remote start systems are programmed to have a shorter range than your RKE.