Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Remote Starter Range

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2006, 4:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Remote Starter Range

I know that there was a post previously relating to the remote starter in the 07 Tahoe, BUT... I wanted to start a new one based solely on the question at hand without the potential for hijacking.

So... here it goes.

In the 07 Tahoe, is there any possible way to extend the range of the FACTORY remote start system?? There has to be some sort of an antenna (likely just a wire coming out of a box somewhere) to give the system the advertised 200' range.

My last vehicle had an aftermarket system with a 2000' range which was achieved by the placement of a 6" antenna mounted on the windshield behind the rearview mirror.

I am trying to find a place that I can connect (via solder, tape, spit, glue, etc...) this antenna to at least double the range provided by the factory.

If anyone knows of any information about how to do this with the FACTORY unit, please do let me know.

Many thanks!!

Jeff.
Old October 27th, 2006, 5:47 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Remote Starter Range

The remote start module and antenna assembly is located in the right rear corner garnish molding just above the rear speaker near the back glass, the stock antenna is about 12 inches long.
Old October 27th, 2006, 5:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Garnish Molding??? What exactly is Garnish Molding??
Old October 27th, 2006, 6:10 PM
CF Addict

C-mon now, I gave a great description, if the word "garnish" is confusing then just omit it. [&:]
Old October 27th, 2006, 6:18 PM
CF Senior Member

I figured it out.... What you didn't say is that the airbag system is there also. Good thing I was paying attention!!!

Seriously... thanks for the information.

The antenna is actually just a plain old wire amongst a whole mess of other wires (which are likely causing EMI interference), but I am going to attach an antenna to it anyway. If it works, you know that I'll let you know.

What are the odds that you know the frequeny range that the remote system???
Old October 27th, 2006, 6:31 PM
CF Addict

I didn’t tell you about the airbags because you didn’t tell me that you had the head/side curtain airbag option, I'm also not the hall safety monitor.
GM's RKE Systems operate in the 300MHz range
Old October 27th, 2006, 6:41 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

I didn’t tell you about the airbags because you didn’t tell me that you had the head/side curtain airbag option
OK... so nobody's perfect... I thought you had those super-duper Carnack skills like Johnny Carson did. Sheesh.

Seriously... thanks for the information. I'd have never found that thing way in the back of the truck.

Where might the actual receiver for the security/remote start system be in the truck?? It's best to have the antenna run directly from the receiver (that's my goal at least) to eliminate/reduce signal attenuation, etc....

Am I going to find your signature somewhere inside my Tahoe or something?? You have an awful lot of knowledge about these vehicles than the better-than-avereage bear would have...
Old November 2nd, 2006, 9:59 AM
CF Senior Member

So I took the antenna wire out of the massive ganglia of other wires running down the "D" post and poked about 2 inches of it out of the trim at the d/s rear window. You won't see it there if you're not looking for it.

I can honestly say that the range of the remote has nearly doubled!!!!

Before I did this, I tested the range at work in an empty parking lot. Pre-change I was able to go about 450 feet (counted the parking spaces in the empty lot) before the signal stopped reaching the Tahoe. After the change, I tested it again and I am just over 900 feet!!! Yes, 900 Feet!!!!!!

My next attempt is to put an antenna (at a window of course) on the wire as close to the receiver unit as possible to avoid any other EMI/RFI from the other components in the truck. First, I need to find this little device. That'll be a chore.

One note - if you try this, and your Tahoe has Side Curtain Airbags, be careful when removing the trim on the D pillar. The deployment canister is there too!!!!!
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So you didnt change the antenna or add a longer one. You just relocated it?

I would like the range. However i dont trust myself taking off the the trim. I would be the one to shoot out the bags.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:02 PM
CF Addict

Can't you read Landon?
He clearly stated that he installed a pair of rabbit-ear 50' citizens band whip antenna's along with a 100db boost amplifier to the RKE receiver and now only parks that Tahoe on the top of the highest hill so he can get an extra 13 inches of range.

Quick Reply: Remote Starter Range