Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1999 Fuel Gauge

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2015, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Fuel Gauge

Hello everyone, I actually drive a Ford right now but I don't get into the fandom that much so please don't shoot me for that. I've got a friend having trouble with the fuel gauge on their 1999 Lumina they told me it has a 3.3 engine but the Lumina wasn't offered with a 3.3 so I don't know what to think on that until I look at the car. In their words(modified with some more technical language) they say "On startup the fuel gauge reads the proper level, and then goes immediately to empty and stays there unless you shut the car off and start it again.". Normally I don't bother with friends cars but this person is not familiar with how their vehicle functions so I've offered to take a look at it out of concern that their fuel pump may quit and leave them stranded somewhere on the side of the road. I noticed there are four TSB's(NHTSA ID Number: 6088901, 619369, 609721, and 607586) out on the Lumina for problems similar to this but I couldn't find anything specific as to the cause of the problem only that it existed. Any and all assistance is appreciated, remember I drive a Ford so I am a very good mechanic out of necessity, I'd just like some background information on the Lumina's fuel pump setup/common problems before I dive in head first to this problem. Thanks for helping a confused Ford driver.