Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

3100 Crankshaft Position Sensor

Search this Thread

Old August 21st, 2010, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3100 Crankshaft Position Sensor

I have a 1995 Lumina car witha 3100 motor. I'm having a problem with it and I think it's the crankshaft position sensor. I'm told there are 2 on this engine- 1 behind the haronic balancer, and where is the other one? I've been under this car for an hour trying to find where another sensor would plug in, and I can't find one for the life of me. ANy help would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 22nd, 2010, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STRANGE NO-START 91 Lumina APV 3.1 V6

AHOY! IS ANYONE OUT THERE?

Sorry, man...can't answer that... I hope you find the fix soon... If you don't find something helpful here, try the Chevy Thunder site.

I am hoping to find some help with a similar problem on my brother's daily driver 91 Lumina APV 3.1 V6 (Large, 4-wheeled Dust Buster) with:
No fuel @ throttle body... Clean fuel filter... Fuel pump fuse OK... Juice to crank.
Seems something shuts-down the fuel.
It was "not right" for a while before no-start, but started & ran.

Many 3.1's have similar problems, but folks don't collect & describe symptoms so someone experienced or trained can diagnose it...Most are spending BIG $$ on parts swaps that don't fix it, replacing computer, ignition system, starter, etc...I've spent 3 days chasing leads, sifting thru sites on the net, searching for enough data to figger it out.
1 car & truck are projects...Other car, truck, & fridge are down simultaneously...I WON'T WASTE $$ on parts to see if it works.
Oh, yes...No Factory Service Manual.

I had a year of diesel apprenticeship in 81-82, but carbs ever since. That helps, but ONLY some.

I'd be grateful & appreciate ANY helpful thoughts, folks.