S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

2003 Chevy Blazer minor issues

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2014, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Chevy Blazer minor issues

Hey everyone, just have some minor issues with my 2003 Chevy Blazer, and would like to ask and get them resolved. I've tried searching for other post but am not quite sure what may be wrong here.

1. No interior lights work.
None of my interior lights work, dome or overhead. My gauge and dash lights do though. How would I go about finding the root problem to this?

2. Slow Acceleration
Ok not sure what to title this as, but it doesn't seem to want to get up and go for being a V6 4.3L. When I press the gas all the way down too it jumps to 5,000 rpms and it's strange reaction. I'll try to describe the best I can. Jumps to 5,000 and I guess just farts there then shifts. I don't like the sound of it and feel like something is wrong, or is that a typical blazer thing.

3. Takes a long time to warm up
While at running temperature, the blazer doesn't seem to want to give off hot air for the heater. It's about 40 degree f here and well I need me some heat. I was thinking maybe the thermostat or air in the coolant lines.

4. Sharp left clunking noise
When turning left hard it gives a grinding/clunking noise. It also kind of slows down in a sense were I have to give it gas to keep going left. Any suggestions to what that may be?

I know four questions in one. But I didn't want to make four separate posts, especially if one is due to the other. Any suggestions are acceptable and if you know of a post with step by step instructions that would be even better. Don't really want to spend the money at a shop.

Thanks everyone
Old October 15th, 2014, 1:34 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Interior lights.
hmm. the switch on the left of the steering wheel should have a "dome override" button have you tried pressing this button? electrical issues can usually be solved with a voltmeter and some patience. sounds silly, but have you checked the bulbs? how about the fuse? you can check your fuse box diagram in your instruction manual.

2. Slow acceleration
I'm assuming you are driving an automatic trans? sounds like it's down shifting to compensate for your flooring the throttle. is it jumping to 5000 when you start from the line, or is it jumping to 5000 while you floor the pedal at speed?

how long? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 15 minutes? is the engine increasing past the 180 mark. sounds silly, but if you turn on the A/C, what happens?
when was the last time you flushed your coolant? (are there rust particles/dirt in it?)

4. Sharp left Clunking noise.
is it only doing it when 4WD is on? is it when breaking or accelerating or both?
have you checked the ball joint or CV joint? check the shock mounts too, you never know
Old October 15th, 2014, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1. Interior lights.
I really haven't checked the fuse, nor the bulbs because I bought this from a mechanic figuring he'd know what to do. So yeah I guess I'll check those, then use the voltometer for a while after.

2. Slow acceleration
While I'm driving. Though the slow speed is when from a stop, seems like no ***** under it for being a v6

When it's cold out, about 45mins + , though when it's not so called out only a little while. I was going to just start at the stat then go from there.

4. Sharp left clunking noise

No 4WD only 2WD. It's when I turn hard left, not braking. Basically say I'm trying to turn around in my yard or something silly. Its hard left, almost completely turned all the way to left.

I heard of needing to add washers to a certain area because it's not allowing enough room for turning. Haven't checked the CV or ball joint. To be honest not sure what to look for on them.
Old October 15th, 2014, 9:02 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah go ahead and do all that, let me know how it works out.
is your check engine light on? it's possible you're not getting enough air. check your air filter and check for vacuum leaks. If you don't know how, you simply find a vacuum hose diagram (sometimes it's on the hood or manual (if you can't find it go online). and use the "carb cleaner trick".
also check if your throttle body is clean (this has a metal plate that controls air flow).
also clean out your idle air control (IAC) sensor.
does it idle low when up to temp?
4. try just putting your blazer at full lock and check if anything is rubbing or close to it. if not, it's probably a joint. I'm glad you answered 2WD that throws out CV joint, it's a joint on the front axle if you have FWD or 4WD, but you don't.
Ball joints are found in your upper and lower control arms. to check for a bad ball joint, first you jack up car by the frame and see if the wheel has any play, I you are able to make it wobble with little effort, you have a bad lower ball joint. Now do the same again, but jack it up by the lower control arm instead of the frame as close to the wheel as you can. if you feel easy wobble at this point, you have a bad upper ball joint.
hope this helps.

2 and 4 make me curious if you have oversized tires?