Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Minor Defects in a Used '05 Aveo Sedan?

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2008, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Defects in a Used '05 Aveo Sedan?

I just recently invested in a used '05 Aveo, and having driven it for a few weeks now, I'm starting to notice some minor perculiarities. I'm not ready to dismiss the issues, but I'm not willing to call them entirely problematic, so I'm wondering if any other Aveo owners are experiencing similar problems on '05 models or models close to the same age.

I've only found two things that conern me, which is tolerable considering the odometer just tripped the 15K mark. The first setback I encountered after purchasing the vehicle was, what appeared to be, a creaking noise possibly caused by the suspension towards the front left of the car. Maybe the struts/shocks need replacing, but I find it difficult to believe that a practically new car would be meeting suspension issues like this early on. Maybe other drivers are experiencing similar situations?

The second promblem came to a head after my Engine Light appeared in around 15.2K. A friend and myself dialed in with a PCM and got the Error Code P-0315, which appears to be a malfunction called "CKP Variant Not Learned". I'm just curious as to whether or not any other Aveo owners have encountered a similar problem early on in the life of their vehicle. Also, I'm wondering if this problem is cause for concern as I've been led to believe that the CKP Sensor doesn't really amount to much of a concern if the timing is slightly off. I haven't had any misfires, or noises, and there hasn't been a notable difference in the performance of the car. However, the accelerator seems a little "harder" to push than it did a few days ago.

Other questions I have are just plain curiosity. The clutch in the car is a little tight, and second gear is a bear if you don't equalize acceleration and clutch connection. Anybody else experiencing this? Also, even when the clutch is fully disconnected, I have [rarely] minor difficulty with changing gears in that the gears take a little extra pressure to mesh. Anybody?

Now, finally, I've heard a couple of rumours concerning problems that the Aveo line experiences. I've heard that front end problems, specifically in steering and suspension, are likely as well as timing belt issues, even early on. Any reccommendations to discourage such problems, other than, of course, driving intelligably and performing routine maintenance? And, of course, if there's anything else anybody can think on, let me know.

Thanks
Old July 7th, 2008, 12:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Minor Defects in a Used '05 Aveo Sedan?

Yeah, the first to second gear shift is a turd. That's why I usually use 1st just enough to get rolling and go to second before spooling up. Otherwise it's asking for gear grinding.