S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

Can we drive truck with out oil in AC compressor?

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can we drive truck with out oil in AC compressor?

1989 Gmc s15 2.5 liter

recently rebuilt ac compressor and did not put any oil and refrigerant in it.
Because I don't want to use AC ...rebuilt it because without it serpentine belt would not run and I did not want to use
bypass pulley.

Now my question is...can I run the truck without ac electrical connector connected and without turn the AC switch on inside?

Since it does not have oil or refrigerant in it ...will it damage internal parts ?

My understanding is ...unless you turn on ac internal parts does not come in play...
only pulley runs nothing else is functioning so without oil it can't be damaged..am I correct?
Old August 19th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

That would be correct, as long as the clutch does not engage, the engine is only spinning the outside pulley of the unit...
You can still use the inside vent for air circulation....
Old August 19th, 2015, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

So ...if nothing is broken inside the compressor like piston or anything... should not cause any problem on drive belt or tensioner as long as we don't engage AC correct? My tensioner was bouncing so I replaced it with a new one and still bouncing so changed belt ..still the same so only thing left is compressor ...and before I rebuilt the compressor I disconnected electrical connector and did not engage AC ...so why was it bouncing than? you said as long as we don't engage ac it should not affect drive belt or tensioner
Old August 19th, 2015, 2:34 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Your original post did not mention that the belt was bouncing, you asked if it was okay to drive with a non charged AC compressor.
If the belt is bouncing its possible its not the correct size of belt, the take up pulley is worn or the bearing on the AC compressor itself is worn, or its possible the clutch has seized and is forcing the compressor to spin....

Are all of the compressor bolts and mount properly tightened?
Old August 19th, 2015, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Question

Originally Posted by in2pro
Your original post did not mention that the belt was bouncing, you asked if it was okay to drive with a non charged AC compressor.
If the belt is bouncing its possible its not the correct size of belt, the take up pulley is worn or the bearing on the AC compressor itself is worn, or its possible the clutch has seized and is forcing the compressor to spin....

Are all of the compressor bolts and mount properly tightened?
Yes all bolts and mount are properly tightened.
Belt is also brand new and I verified twice about the correct size.
tensioner is new as I said before.

Bearing on ac compressor seems ok because when I turn the pulley by hand no resistance or binding ..it spins freely
What do u mean by take up pulley?