Go Back   Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums > Past Chevy Truck, SUV & Vans > S-10 & Blazer
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Parking Brake

I have a 1998 S-10, up until recently the parking brake worked fine, but now the brake won't stay on after I push the pedal down. It works fine while the pedal is down but when I take my foot off the pedal it quits working. I've jiggled the release handle and tried pushing the pedal down harder but to no avail. Any ideas?
Register today for free or log-in if already registered to remove this ad!
Old 07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Parking Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by a. palmer jr. View Post
I have a 1998 S-10, up until recently the parking brake worked fine, but now the brake won't stay on after I push the pedal down. It works fine while the pedal is down but when I take my foot off the pedal it quits working. I've jiggled the release handle and tried pushing the pedal down harder but to no avail. Any ideas?
I've attached service manual extract for replacing the parking brake assembly ... not because I think it needs to be replaced but to give you an idea of the mechanics of the device.

I'd take a look at the brake release hardware ... best case - it might just need lube. Worse case - could be something stripped or broken.

Get in touch if you need any of the procedures referenced in document.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 98 S10 Park Brake.pdf (70.7 KB, 1090 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 07:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the PDF..that was really helpful! If it's not too much trouble could you please get me the 2nd item instructions, Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement-Left. It might be helpful to know how to remove the cover, just in case. I think I'll try to lube it first, I don't know how it would have worn out or stripped anything..it hardly ever got used.
Again, thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a. palmer jr. View Post
Thanks for the PDF..that was really helpful! If it's not too much trouble could you please get me the 2nd item instructions, Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement-Left. It might be helpful to know how to remove the cover, just in case. I think I'll try to lube it first, I don't know how it would have worn out or stripped anything..it hardly ever got used.
Again, thanks
I don't recall having a PB pedal that wouldn't latch down. Not much to go wrong there ... with luck the cable is binding and just needs a shot of a good quality spray lube (I'm partial to Slick 50 spray for staying power but I suppose they're all about equal).

Drawing's attached ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Closeout Pnl - Left.pdf (42.5 KB, 477 views)
Old 07-28-2009, 11:12 AM

Tags
10, 98, assembly, brake, brakes, chevrolet, chevy, handle, park, parking, pedal, registering, release, remove, s10, troubles