S-10 & Blazer 1982-2005
The S-10 and Blazer was arguably the most versatile and accessorizable mid-size truck and SUV on the market.
Platform: S/T-series & GMT 330
Old July 22nd, 2015, 10:21 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Brakes
Print Wikipost

Parking Brake

Search this Thread

Old July 26th, 2009, 10:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake

I have a 1998 S-10, up until recently the parking brake worked fine, but now the brake won't stay on after I push the pedal down. It works fine while the pedal is down but when I take my foot off the pedal it quits working. I've jiggled the release handle and tried pushing the pedal down harder but to no avail. Any ideas?
Old July 27th, 2009, 9:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Default Parking Brake

Originally Posted by a. palmer jr.
I have a 1998 S-10, up until recently the parking brake worked fine, but now the brake won't stay on after I push the pedal down. It works fine while the pedal is down but when I take my foot off the pedal it quits working. I've jiggled the release handle and tried pushing the pedal down harder but to no avail. Any ideas?
I've attached service manual extract for replacing the parking brake assembly ... not because I think it needs to be replaced but to give you an idea of the mechanics of the device.

I'd take a look at the brake release hardware ... best case - it might just need lube. Worse case - could be something stripped or broken.

Get in touch if you need any of the procedures referenced in document.

Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
98 S10 Park Brake.pdf (70.7 KB, 3639 views)
Old July 28th, 2009, 7:38 AM
CF Junior Member

Thanks for the PDF..that was really helpful! If it's not too much trouble could you please get me the 2nd item instructions, Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement-Left. It might be helpful to know how to remove the cover, just in case. I think I'll try to lube it first, I don't know how it would have worn out or stripped anything..it hardly ever got used.
Again, thanks
Old July 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by a. palmer jr.
Thanks for the PDF..that was really helpful! If it's not too much trouble could you please get me the 2nd item instructions, Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement-Left. It might be helpful to know how to remove the cover, just in case. I think I'll try to lube it first, I don't know how it would have worn out or stripped anything..it hardly ever got used.
Again, thanks
I don't recall having a PB pedal that wouldn't latch down. Not much to go wrong there ... with luck the cable is binding and just needs a shot of a good quality spray lube (I'm partial to Slick 50 spray for staying power but I suppose they're all about equal).

Drawing's attached ...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Closeout Pnl - Left.pdf (42.5 KB, 1516 views)