Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

need help choices parts for hubbies pickup

Search this Thread

Old June 11th, 2009, 12:00 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choices parts for hubbies pickup

Hello everyone! I am new on here and have no idea what I'm doing, but I need to know if someone can give me advice. My husband has a 1990 Chevrolet Pickup that has 1500 on the door. I am trying to surprise him for Fathers Day by getting Headers or Exhaust for it, but do not know what kind to get. Can someone please help me. I would greatly appreciate it!!!
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:05 AM
CF Active Member

Ah, then the question would be; how far away would you like to be able to hear him coming? Haha; what's the size of the motor? If you got headers, that becomes rather important. If you go cat-back exhaust, it won't matter; how much are you willing to spend on this gift? Do you plan on having the headers/exhaust installed by a professional?

EDIT: In hindsight, those questions seem rather trivial, but necessary.
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum!
Its hard to tell with out knowing the engine size but assuming its a 305/ or 350 may I reccomend the link below for the headers! Hope this helps!
http://summitracing.com/parts/HED-69440/
Old June 11th, 2009, 1:46 AM
CF Beginner

I am trying to keep it under $500.00 and he already has a mechanic that will put these on his truck for him. I do not want his truck to be too loud either.
Old June 11th, 2009, 1:47 AM
CF Beginner

I think the engine is a 350 if this helps.
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default Boxing Hares 'pon the Fairy Mound

Hey All,

Just wanted to say Hi and tell you that we are having a lovely time here in Ireland. It's awesome here and the people and SOOOOOOOOOO neat.

Yesterday I had a glass of Guinness and Shannon had an Irish Coffee (it has whiskey in it)

Anyway, here is a picture of a Fairy Mound outside our hotel window. The Irish believe in faeries (as they spell it) and they call them the 'little people'. It's totally cool.
About 2 minutes before I took this snap there were two hare's boxing 'pon the mound. I ran for my camera but by the time I'd opened the shutter they'd scampered back into the bushes. You'll have to trust me when I tell you that they were the cutest.

Anyway, see you back home next Tuesday and love and kisses to Minty.

Love,
Musters
Attached Thumbnails need help choices parts for hubbies pickup-fm.jpg  
Old June 11th, 2009, 10:53 AM
CF Active Member

too much whiskey in that coffee.....
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:17 AM
CF Beginner

Oh My God! I'm so sorry.

Wrong thread.
Old June 12th, 2009, 8:41 PM
CF Beginner

This is Jenn's husband. She told me last night about her plans. I have the truck in my sig. My cousin is a mechanic, and he is going to put in a 350 I got, out of a '95 Chevy truck. The motor was rebuilt and 2 months later it had a rattle. The guy bought a crate motor and put it in, because he was told it was wrist pin. I got it for $150. The lifter valley is real clean, and I can see in one of the spark plug holes and see 0.030 on a piston, so it is bored 0.030 over. We are going to tear it down and check it out. Replace anything that needs it, and drop it in. I am getting a throttle body off a 350 for $50, and doing the ultimate mods to it. Also getting a computer from a truck with a 350/700R4 from the wrecking yard for $45. Hopefully I will get a new cam (Comp Cam) too.

Anyhow, I want a set of headers, full length. I am looking at the Hedman Headers suggested earlier, Hooker Headers, and Flow Tech. I am getting a pair of new Flow Master Super 40's from Jenn's brother for $100. They have 2.5" in/out, and that is what I wanted.

For the headers, I don't know which collector to get. I know the one on the Hookers. The ball and flange on the Hedman I have never seen before, and the Flow Tech is shorter. Also, on the Hedman, it says I have to modify my A/C compressor bracket. What is up with that?

Last edited by Chris_Harper; June 13th, 2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

Ok, I am going to forgo the cam for now. It will be headers and exhaust, and maybe a chip from tbichips. I am looking at the Hookers I linked in the other post and either the flow masters or header mufflers with pipes out the back.

Quick Reply: need help choices parts for hubbies pickup