Notices
General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non-specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here. IF YOUR QUESTION IS SPECIFIC TO A CERTAIN MODEL, IT DOES NOT GO IN THIS SECTION.

Ignition locked on Cavalier, need advice (Crossposting from Cavalier board)

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2016, 7:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition locked on Cavalier, need advice (Crossposting from Cavalier board)

Hi, bought a used Cavalier yesterday. It's a little banged up but it drove fine, that is until I tried to start it yesterday night and was unable to turn the ignition.

I've tried all the common suggestions for this problem, including turning the wheel (it's locked too), making sure the car is in park (can't shift at all), cleaning out the ignition, cleaning the key, etc. Nothing has worked, the ignition refuses to budge.

Anyone run into this before? It seems strange that it would go just after I bought it, and if it were a key issue you wouldn't think it would go all of a sudden, but become unreliable over time. I don't want to pay $500 for a tow and new ignition if there's an easier fix for this.

Also, does anyone know if there are security features in the key for the 2002 Cav, or if it's just a piece of metal? If not, I'll try getting a new one cut; at least if that's not the problem I'll have a backup door key since I was only given one.

Thanks in advance

Edit: In case anyone comes across this on google, I had a damaged ignition cylinder from a previous (undisclosed) theft attempt. Cost $120 + $60 in labour to have it diagnosed and rebuilt by an automotive locksmith.

(Other thread https://chevroletforum.com/forum/cav...-advice-78695/)

Last edited by NoHubcapLife; October 31st, 2017 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Solution update
Old June 24th, 2016, 8:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

have a look at the ignition key. if the silver is worn off the edges and gold colour is showing, the key is worn. try the second key. if you do not have one or the 2nd key is worn also, get a new key cut. they are cheap as they are not transponder keys.

do not trace the old key to cut a new key...have the new key cut by the dealer or locksmith using a key code.
Old June 24th, 2016, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
have a look at the ignition key. if the silver is worn off the edges and gold colour is showing, the key is worn. try the second key. if you do not have one or the 2nd key is worn also, get a new key cut. they are cheap as they are not transponder keys.

do not trace the old key to cut a new key...have the new key cut by the dealer or locksmith using a key code.
Thanks, can they key code be retrieved from looking at the key or will I need to know my VIN? I was just going to get a cheap copy done at WalMart auto since I assumed a dealer key would be unnecessarily expensive.
Old June 24th, 2016, 1:48 PM
Super Moderator

Walmart does not have the correct equipment to cut this key...they can only trace an existing key. if you go to anywhere but a dealer or locksmith you will have the same problem.

believe me these keys are cheap. call for a quote and compare. you will need your vin and quite possible the ownership in your name.

Last edited by tech2; June 24th, 2016 at 1:50 PM.
Old June 24th, 2016, 9:28 PM
CF Veteran

vin and proof that you own the car are required, I'm sure it varies but here for the simple keys I believe they charge around $25 all said and done. The majority of that is we get charged to lookup the keycode.
Old June 25th, 2016, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
Walmart does not have the correct equipment to cut this key...they can only trace an existing key. if you go to anywhere but a dealer or locksmith you will have the same problem.

believe me these keys are cheap. call for a quote and compare. you will need your vin and quite possible the ownership in your name.
Originally Posted by cleveland63b
vin and proof that you own the car are required, I'm sure it varies but here for the simple keys I believe they charge around $25 all said and done. The majority of that is we get charged to lookup the keycode.
Thanks, got one cut by a Chevy dealer for $25. Unfortunately that didn't work at all, looks like I'm going to have to get it towed.

Is there any way to put the car in neutral without turning on the car?
Old June 25th, 2016, 6:07 PM
Super Moderator

DISCONNECT the trans cable from the trans and push the lever on the trans into neutral