Cavalier Starting in the 1980s. the Cavalier made a name for itself by offering an affordable 2 and 4 door compact.
Platform: J-body

Ignition locked on Cavalier, need advice

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2016, 7:16 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition locked on Cavalier, need advice

Hi, bought a used Cavalier yesterday. It's a little banged up but it drove fine, that is until I tried to start it yesterday night and was unable to turn the ignition.

I've tried all the common suggestions for this problem, including turning the wheel (it's locked too), making sure the car is in park (can't shift at all), cleaning out the ignition, cleaning the key, etc. Nothing has worked, the ignition refuses to budge.

Anyone run into this before? It seems strange that it would go just after I bought it, and if it were a key issue you wouldn't think it would go all of a sudden, but become unreliable over time. I don't want to pay $500 for a tow and new ignition if there's an easier fix for this.

Also, does anyone know if there are security features in the key for the 2002 Cav, or if it's just a piece of metal? If not, I'll try getting a new one cut; at least if that's not the problem I'll have a backup door key since I was only given one.

Thanks in advance