Tahoe & Suburban DIY and Useful Threads This section is for DIY writeups, FAQs, and other useful threads. If you would like something posted in here, please contact a moderator.

04 Tahoe Cranking but no power to plugs

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2016, 8:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Tahoe Cranking but no power to plugs

I replaced the starter in my '04 Tahoe, but now the engine cranks fine, but no fire to the plugs. It appears that my security light is not coming on when locked up, so maybe arcing from removing/connecting negative battery terminal shorted something??? Anybody have any ideas?
Old October 27th, 2016, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hokiesteve
I replaced the starter in my '04 Tahoe, but now the engine cranks fine, but no fire to the plugs. It appears that my security light is not coming on when locked up, so maybe arcing from removing/connecting negative battery terminal shorted something??? Anybody have any ideas?
I was able to reset the 'theft deterrent system' and get the red-light to flash by opening the door and locking the doors with the power door lock switch. However, when I close the door, the light is supposed to stop flashing and go solid, but it continues to flash. Still no fire to the plugs. I can hear the fuel pump running with the key on, so it's not for lack of fuel. Possibly a relay (starter, ignition, etc) or maybe still locked out by the VATS security system? Any advice?
Old October 31st, 2016, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

For anyone interested, I removed the new starter, again, to find that I had broken a wire from the crank sensor located right above the starter. I have always bragged on the performance and low maintenance of my two Tahoes and two Suburbans, but there is no good reason for Chevy to have placed the starter in such a near impossible location to remove and replace. But, for the record, this is the first starter that has gone bad, and that's probably because I had to drive through flooded streets recently as result of Hurricane Matthew.

Happy Motoring, folks.