Notices
Silverado & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado has been one of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

01 silverado p0430 code

Search this Thread

Old July 8th, 2012, 1:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 silverado p0430 code

hi I am new to the forum I just purchased an 01 silverado 4.3l v6 4x4 with 136k miles on it. it was a local newspaper companies truck and I got it cheap which is the only reason I bought it because I knew it would need some work the body was pretrybeat up and so far I have just done some routine stuff like oil change and air filter and fuel filter and transmission filter also rear shocks. I am in the process of doing a tune up which has been a headache the rear plug on both sides I have been having alot of trouble getting a plug back in it. also the drivers side front plug I am guessing u have to drop the steering shaft that is in the way I don't see any other way to do it. previous to this I drove the truck for about a week when I got it the see light was on and the code was p0430. I put some injector cleaner in and erased the code and it didn't come back on until about a week later with the same code. in all my research I have found most people say that it is the passanger side cat? is there anything I should try or just replace the cat? I figured I would try the tune up and see if it comes back. any help on the code or my tune up troubles would b greatly appreciated thanks.
Old July 8th, 2012, 1:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well tap the cat see if it sounds hard or lose if you hear anything its bad
It can be o2 encer as well there's many things you can do
Cut car out strait pipe cuz u got muffler high Flo cat or replace cat or o2
Last thing you can do it take cat off put in eather or or gas over night and clean it but that last thing
Old July 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Replace the cat it is the only repair. You can keep messing with it but the only fix is the cat.
Old July 8th, 2012, 10:17 PM
CF Beginner

I figured it was the cat I am just going to buy a cat and have it replaced everywhere i have looked points to the cat. On another note I was finishing the tune up today and I got everything done and started the truck it started perfect then shut off 10'sec later I looked and the cap was slightly loose so I tightened it and broke the screw off so I took the distributor out and drilled it out put the distributor back in and everything back and itnwouldntnstart at all or crank really. I figured the timing was off so I cranked the fly wheel to put cylinder 1 at top dead center and adjusted the distributor to fire at cylinder 1 now it cranks like it should but won't fire and seems like it floods itself and will fire but barely idle I have no clue how to get it back to where it should be any help would be appreciated.
Old July 9th, 2012, 1:16 PM
CF Beginner

It seems like the timing is out on it I have looked around online and they stated that if you have cylider one at tdc and you pull the distributor out and spin the cap until it lines up with the number 6 on the cap and put it back in and put everything back together it should start and run. If anyone knows if this is right or knows how to get the truck running right or maybe sees something I am doing wrong please let me know. Thanks
Old July 9th, 2012, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Finished the tune up and got the truck back into time and it fired right up but now it is throwing a p1345 code. Any suggestions on what to do next. Thanks again
Old July 10th, 2012, 1:14 AM
CF Beginner

My Haynes Repair book ( Chevrolet Silverado, Gmc Sierra 99-06) says P1345 is Crankshaft position sensor/ Camshaft position sensor correlation.
Old July 10th, 2012, 3:49 PM
CF Beginner

I did some research on the code and even though the truck is running fine with no missing pinging or power loss it seems like the distributor must still be off slightly because almost everything out there says you have to get a scanner that will read the live data and change it as close to 0 degrees as possible. Is there any way to do this without a scanner? I dont feel like taking it to the dealer I dont even want to know what they would charge. I have a little shop not far from me that has always done good work for me but I called them and they dont have a scanner capable of doing it. I watched a video and it doesnt seem to hard to do if you have a scanner but I dont feel like shelling out that kind of money for it so I was just wondering if there are any other ways to do it. Can you use a timing light?
Old July 10th, 2012, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Only way to do it is with a scanner. You could turn the dis slightly and clear the code then drive (repeat until light does not return) however it could take a while to get it right. If it runs normal the most likely you do not need to pull it back out, just need too turn it. Any independent shop with a snap on scanner can do it. I would call around until I found one. As long as the dis does not need to be pulled at work we would charge .4 of a hour. Dealer most likely will charge 1 hour. You could look for an old Snap on mt2500 on ebay for a couple hundred and do it yourself. Just make sure it has at least the domestic cartridges and keys for your year.